Getting through a horrible winter

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Getting through a horrible winter

Post by Steelbanger »

Everyone I know is really fed up with our winter. Right now we are having a brief thaw then next week back to the single digits. I'm down to about a foot of the white stuff in my yard after finally seeing 40º yesterday.

I haven't fired a shot in over a month, maybe two months, with no plans to get out until after we get a real break with some nice, warm sunshine. In the meantime I am loading all my 38 Special cases with plinker loads. For the past week I've been busy a few hours every day lubing cast bullets, and prepping cases for this project. One of my priorities is using up the one 9 oz. container of Trail Boss powder that I have. So at 4 grains per load with my 158 gr. Saeco bullets I should crank out over 980 loaded cartridges, all destined to be run through the 92 Rossi that I bought from Ranch Dog.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting through a horrible winter

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah... make that Rossi pay!

Of course, our winter is nothing like yours but I don't recall the series of wild swings our temperatures have had. Every week we seem to have a point that the temperature moves up or down 35° to 40° over the course of the day or in some cases within the day. In a four hour period I've observed both my air conditioner and heater running full blast!

I too have been working the "Ranch Dogs". This weeks total is about 2500 bullets for the 9mm Luger & Makarov (1000 each) and 44 Mag/444 Marlin (500). Going to finish them up today.
Michael
parson48

Post by parson48 »

We're enjoying near 60 degree weather here in Indianapolis today, but the forecast is for more single digit temp next week!

I'm thinking about firing up the pot and doing some casting. A friend is wanting to begin casting and reloading, so I might have to call him up.

Steelbanger, where abouts are you in Pa. My son is a Prof. at Penn State.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Parson48,
I'm about 100 miles due east of State College, PA. Sorry to tell you that I'm not a fan of the Nittany Lions nor any other spectator sport either, however women's beach volleyball can sometimes grab my attention. I haven't been to a football game since high school which was back in the fifties.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Seems that having two passports just buys me MORE depressing snow & frigid weather this winter.
The cold fronts are no respecters of international borders & have taken over the northern states & all of Canada.
Even places that are normally temperate this time of year are getting poked with the icy finger.
If you've got guns that need fixing/tuning it's a great winter for projects. :cry:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Absolutely weird, hit 84° today! It was 27° a week ago today.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

since we're discussing "getting through the winter.....

Personally, I'm not a fan of winter .... thus one of the main reasons I never left my home town in NE Texas. We actually only have a few days each year that you more "Northern folks" would consider to be winter. I'm always (normally) glad to see Spring come around and the trees bud/bloom, but mid-February is a bit too soon this year. We just got an approval for a proposal to do a proposed road survey for a 2800 foot extension in one of our local industrial development projects that happens to be in a veritable briar patch. Nothing but a solid stand of elm, sweet gum, persimmon, wild plum, and green briar vines up to 12-15 feet tall. Knowing that the project approval would come in mid-February, we figured we could use our RTK GPS system to mark the center line of the roadway for the clearing contractor to do his work, but we would have to do it with "leaf off" and wear our "body armor" (carhart bibs and heavy carhart coats) to push our way into the brush. The GPS is totally useless without "good sky", and "leaf on" makes foot navigation a real problem. So.... we've had over a week of 60°-70° weather for the last week, got official approval to proceed yesterday, checked the site this afternoon ..... the elm is leafing, the plum is blossoming, and the others are full bud already. Our five day weather forecast is pretty much the same, and we've scheduled next Monday for the start date. It's gonna be real fun fighting all the new growth and wearing heavy (for us) winter garb for this one in those temps. I would welcome a return of the nasty 35°to 40° temps for a couple of weeks.... then we can get back to the 70° temps.

On topic..... I'm still working on tweaking the .44 mag loads to find more consistency in the ES and SD, although it may not be much of an issue anyway.

Life is good.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

Horrible is hardly the word for it. We have had stretches of 16 days of temps below zero, not much snow so ground is froze so deep water lines and wells are freezing up. Now we are in another blizzard with roads closed. I'm going to have to buy more cases because looks like spring is a long ways off up here.