Remington Arms to open factory in Alabama

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Remington Arms to open factory in Alabama

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Remington Arms to open factory in Alabama

Post by donhuff »

what kind of sniper rifle does remington make, that cost $16,000.00 a piece?
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

It's the remington 700 our wonderful goverment pays this for. costs us 700 to 1200 but under goverment contract they get 16000.00 lol i kid i really do not know. It would not suprize me though I think it's cool to have a factory/shop setup like that though.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Remington has had to tighen its belt and literally eat some of its own kids (mass employee layoffs & plant relocation) to survive in this cut-throat economy & still deliver a reasonable priced product.
Remington is still an American owned company employing Americans while it's old arch-competitor Winchester is a foreign owned rump of its former self.

My own experience with the new Marlin companies products:
The "REP" Marlin model 336C I just purchased is a solid gun and the parts all fit together with no conspicuous gaps and what is more important the gun works.
After 2 or 3 x 500-cycle sessions interspaced with solvent rinses and relubing the action of my "REP" is as smooth as any levergun I have ever owned. As soon as they arrive I will be installing WWG Trigger Happy and Bear Proof extractor kits and a Brownell spring kit that was listed for less than $6 (that's right !.....six dollars) :D on their website.
The only substandard thing about my new rifle is the checkering which is shadow thin near the pistol grip. The genuine walnut used in the butt stock and forearm is attractive and the wood in the butt stock & forearm match. The metal finish & bluing is excellent. None of the rough "5 year old kid turned loose with a dremel" machining seen on newer BrazTech 92s I've looked at.
I wish they would either do the checkering right or leave the checkering off the gun entirely........my old 1990s vintage"JM" 336C didn't have any checkering & looked great.
Lets keep our perspective and realize we're talking about a $400 - $500 utilitarian gun here. If Rem/Marlin revive the 1894s at this qualty level & competitively priced Rossi has something to worry about.
In contrast the prices of the Miroku made Winchester model 94s quadrupled from the prices of the last American made 94s in 2006.
I'm happy with my purchase and if Remington can keep costs & prices down they will do OK.

Glad to hear another Remington plant is opening........that's a good sign for this icon American gun making company. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Well there is all kinds of rumors flying around the web about this new plant. NY passed their crazy new gun laws. The Gov of NY is peddling this as a win for NY because no jobs will be lost. What he fails to say is 2000 NEW jobs are going to AL...... I am happy for AL, and glad Remington is taking a stand to intrusive state laws against gun owners.

There are some that think this is just the first step in Remington pulling out of NY if things don't change. Guess time will tell.....
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Well there is all kinds of rumors flying around the web about this new plant. NY passed their crazy new gun laws. The Gov of NY is peddling this as a win for NY because no jobs will be lost. What he fails to say is 2000 NEW jobs are going to AL...... I am happy for AL, and glad Remington is taking a stand to intrusive state laws against gun owners.

There are some that think this is just the first step in Remington pulling out of NY if things don't change. Guess time will tell.....
I'm sure Bloomberg must have surreptitiously greased a few palms here & there in the Remington administrative heirarchy to rescue his principal political puppet Governor Cuomo from a public opinion flatliner in regards to job losses.

Big Mike owns just about the entire NYS legislature......if you don't think so run a few of the license plates on the Lincolns, Bentleys, Porches, Lamborghinis parked outside his mansion when he gives one of his big dinner parties. They all know who butters their bread.
Wanna know why things happen?............follow the money. +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

akuser47 wrote:It's the remington 700 our wonderful goverment pays this for. costs us 700 to 1200 but under goverment contract they get 16000.00 lol i kid i really do not know. It would not suprize me though I think it's cool to have a factory/shop setup like that though.
Mostly but with several tweaks.
I've been told this version won't be released to the public unlike previous editions.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for reporting the details on the Remlin and it good to hear that they are getting it together. Off and on I try looking for info on MO to see what buyers are finding but unfortunately anybody that mentions a Remington purchase is pretty much "consumed". From what you have noted, it sounds like they have come a long ways. If they can keep their pricing on the basic 336 30-30 Win near $400, the RG is in trouble. If the Marlin is at $500, the RG will remain a value to many.

Hopefully the absence of a 1894 on Remington's behalf the last several years is based on their experience of putting 336 and 1895s on the gun racks before they were ready. Introducing working, finished rifles will go a long ways toward repairing their reputation in levergun manufacture. An 1894 & R92 are apples and oranges, I really don't see the reintroduction of the 1894 causing much consideration for those that want a 92.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Noticed a slightly oversized barrel channel in the 336C when looking at the gun from the muzzle end down the axis of the bore. The mag tube/barrel assembly is not loose but there is a gap there.
They probably didn't want to get into the forearm fitting issues Rossi is experiencing.
It was either make a "generous" barrel channel or try and entice Popeye from the Rossi factory with a bigger salary & more perks (the deed to a spinach farm). :lol:
I have a Brownells glass bedding kit in the shop and was debating glass bedding the forearm anyway .......now that decision has been made for me.
Most people are not lever gun connoisseurs like we are and categorize their gun by what it shoots and the price.
The 1894s & 92s both shoot pistol ammo & if the 1894s come back at the quality level of the new 336s and competitively priced BrazTech 92 market share will take a hit.
Maybe the new plant will be producing 1894s??
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

If the Marlin 1894s are available they will also probably have an impact on multiple Rossi 92 sales.
I am in the market for a couple Marlin 1894s and a 1895 plus maybe a 336 and 39A plus maybe another couple three 92s. If the Marlins are available I might put off the Rossi in favor of them since I already have a couple 92s.