Marlin 375

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
olderndirt

Marlin 375

Post by olderndirt »

I have a chance at picking up a nice Marlin 375 from my LGS. I was wondering if anyone had a source for brass for this round? I can not seem to be able to find any ammo or brass. :x
I think it would be a good cast boolit gun for deer and hogs.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Marlin 375

Post by akuser47 »

There are sites that have it in stock but not cheap. I think I would stick to somthing else unless the startup costs do not hurt you. I think it would be a fun round though.
http://www.eabco.com/store/reloading-su ... ading-100/
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

There are quite a few folks who take 30-30 cases and fire form them to their rifle. Primed brass, 6 grains of bullseye than fill with oatmeal and top off last 1/8 inch of case with soap or wax. wala 375 brass... :D
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've owned three. I guess one didn't count as I kept it new in the box until a couple of years ago. Opened the action less than a dozen times. I figured I would never shoot it as I had really gotten attached to the dog of the three and I had too much hunting history with the rifle so I even sold my spare.

I was lucky enough to wander into a store that was closing in San Antonio about 6 years ago. They had a bin full of new Winchester brass that they sold to me at half price. Very fortunate.

I'm not sure the 375 Win is an ideal cast bullet gun. I'm saying this because like all my lever guns I have spent a huge amount of time measuring and exacting every detail from it. It is often compare to the 38-55 Win but there are notable difference in the throat that make all the difference in the world. The 375 Win has a huge throat. There is no doubt in my mind that it was designed that way so that the chamber would dump the pressure the cartridge was design for rather quickly. When shooting lead, you always need to fill the throat in order to have a good shooter and 375 Win takes a huge amout ahead of the case. The 38-55, with a SAAMI spec cut, makes a much better cast bullet gun but the trouble with that is there are no non-cowboy 336 based rifles out there chambered in 38-55. That is why I had one built on a Rossi Rio Grande... great rifle.

As far as brass goes, use 38-55 Win brass in the rifle. No need to fire form it.

All this said, I would buy it in a heart beat. ;)
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Ranch Dog wrote:
As far as brass goes, use 38-55 Win brass in the rifle. No need to fire form it.
You mean you don't like the smell of burnt oatmeal better..... :lol: Maybe toss in a couple bacon bits and you have breakfast. :?
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

olderndirt

Post by olderndirt »

I will have to take a close look at it Saturday. I may end up will another toy to play with. :)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

olderndirt wrote:I will have to take a close look at it Saturday. I may end up will another toy to play with. :)
Damn, didn't mean to discourage you just wanted you to know the facts. Is it appropriate what they are asking for the rifle?

I see you are in West Texas, here is a desert mule deer I killed on the Catto Gage in Brewster County.

Michael
olderndirt

Post by olderndirt »

The shop has $550 on it with scope and sling, I can get it cheaper. I will take a close look at it tomorrow, I don't even know what scope is on it yet.
I really need another lever gun almost as much as I need another hole in my head. :D
I just have a hard time passing up a good lever gun and he called today to let me know there is another Winchester to look at too.
olderndirt

Post by olderndirt »

Well I went ahead and bought it for $450 and overall it is a real slick 375. Smooth action and bore looks new. :o
Now I just need some brass or ammo. :)
I ordered a set of Skinner Peeps for it today too. Not too fond of the scopes yet.
When I come up with ammo I will give a report.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't think you could possibly be disappointed at that price! Well done!
Michael