On to the next one

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
xbr10dr

On to the next one

Post by xbr10dr »

Trying to figure out which one to get next, 44mag 20" in stainless, or 24" Octagon in 45 Colt?
Anyone have a 24" rifle, is the butt stock longer than a 20" carbine?

Rick
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: On to the next one

Post by Archer »

Approximate lengths on my rifles (and I assume everyone else's.)
.44 Mag 24" Octagonal Rifle 13.75" receiver to arc of crescent buttplate.
.357 Mag 20" RB Carbine 12.9" receiver to arc of buttplate.

Toe of the stocks are probably more pronounced since the rifle buttplate curves more radically than the carbine.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

The rifles also have a longer fore end and are drilled and tapped for the tang sights. The iron sights are also a bit different.
xbr10dr

Post by xbr10dr »

Thanks for the feed back, the 24" Octagon 45 Colt will be the next one, probably end of this month, if one is available then. I like the extra length of the stock.

Rick
silverback13

Post by silverback13 »

well sad to say I am holding off on the 45 colt purchase for now. I haven't been shooting for a while due to the ammo shortage. I am waiting on a group buy for mihec molds. I figured I would spend some time loading the 357 and shooting the Rossi. I am sure once my girlfriend and I spend time on the Rossi 357 she will be wanting one for herself.

Ugh! the addiction gets worse all the time. I know I will eventually pick up a 45 colt lever gun for grins and as a companion to the redhawk. I really like shooting those big boolits. Who knows maybe a really good deal will fall into my lap.

Serious work will have to be left to my vepr .308 for now.
Finally Ranch Dog Big Fat Bullet Group Buy!
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2633
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I am curious xbr10dr,
WHY were you considering a 20" .44 Mag vs. a 24" .45 Colt instead of .44 vs. .44 OR .45 vs. .45?

I've typically avoided the .45 Colt in favor of the .44 Mag mostly because I think factory ammo is better in the .44 Mag out of the rifle and is more available plus I didn't want to add yet another set of reloading dies and components. I know you can warm/hot load the .45 Colt in the right guns and dies are not really expensive but I just haven't made that leap yet. Should have on a S&W LNIB revolver about six or eight months ago that I could have snapped up for $500.

I can understand the 20" carbine vs. the 24" Octagonal. I was in the same boat. I have a weakness for octagonal barrels but when I first handled the 24" .44 Stainless 92 I put it back because of the extra weight and figuring a 20" RB would be handier. (I've already got a 24" Winchester .44 Mag) After I put the rifle back on the rack my buddy snapped it up. Before I could get the 20" RB he got it to the range and decided it wasn't for him. I think it boils down to he's a rather large gent and managed to get the crescent buttplate in the wrong place before touching off the gun at least once. As a result he made me an offer I couldn't turn down in spite of the extra weight and length.

The RB was/is still on the list for acquisition but I ended up with a deal on a .308 Browning BLR that ate my funds for that for a while.
xbr10dr

Post by xbr10dr »

Archer, I plan on getting at least one of every caliber except 480, a 44mag stainless 20" is
on my list.I'm tall (6'4", 37 " sleeves) and the extra 1" or so of stock length may help.
it's more a matter of which one is next. As far as caliber, right now I don't have any other guns
in either 44 or 45. I don't reload, yet, and around here all ammo is scarce but seems like 45 is a
little more available.
I like my 20" 357 but am not crazy about the stock length, I came real close to pushing the
button on on a Boyds stock set with the pad, but decided to get a 24" rifle and try that instead.
Like Pricedo says they are kit guns and I like that, gives me something to do, i even have my eye
on the 44-40 stainless at CDNN for $400. I'm at a point in my life where I don't shoot that much
and don't hunt anymore but I still like "tinkering with guns" .

Rick
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

'Collect them ALL!'

No problem. I've tended to go the opposite way with ammo commonality.
I find myself wanting an Octagonal 24" case hardened and 20" stainless in .357 and .44 with possibly also the 16" guns as well and MAYBE going toward converting one of each to a takedown. Of course that's just dreaming of a limitless budget.

Around here Wally world carries .44 Mag, .357 Mag and .38 SP but does not carry .44-40 or .45 Colt. About the only two places to get the latter two calibers are dedicated gunshops and the internet.