92 Action hitch fixed

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Nathing32

92 Action hitch fixed

Post by Nathing32 »

Ok so I've been tinkering with the action on my .357/38 Braztech 92 since I bought it new just before Christmas. I followed Steve's DVD and advice on this site as well as trying out the gunslinger kit. I still could not quite get the action as smooth as I wanted or thought it should be (I also have a disease which has "can't leave well enough alone" as it's primary symptom). When I dropped the lever and just as the bolt was about the push the hammer to the half-cocked position there would be a hitch. This was especially noticeable if I didn't run the action quickly or if I was pushing forward as well as down on the lever at all. I know folks out there are saying that I shouldn't be running the action too slow or be pushing forward with he lever at all but sometimes I do and I just couldn't stand not figuring out how to eliminate the hitch. Besides - I have Browning 92 that doesn't have the hitch and since the two guns are nearly identical in function I figured that I should be able to get the Rossi just as smooth.

Bear with me here. So I figured it was all about the hammer spring since the timing made sense with the half-cock. I switched out the original for the gunslinger version but the hitch was still there. I polished every related part but still no luck. Then I noticed something that seemed odd and that did not happen when cycling the Browning - the carrier was moving slightly at the same time as the lever was getting into the "hitch zone". Problem located! This took like weeks of tinkering to figure out by the way.

I removed the loading spring to get a "window" into the inner workings of the action. I'd highly recommend everyone try this at some point since you can see just how much each component interacts with one another. The little nub on top of the carrier was running against the curved "crotch" of the lever as the lever was being dropped. There is a bit more play in the lever on the Rossi than on the Browning so when you drop the lever and push it forward slightly it would make even more contact. I could also see rub marks in the lever crotch where it was contacting the back of the carrier. I filed down the back of the carrier and ground down the crotch of the lever ever so slightly in increments so as to A. Not overheat the metal and B. Not take off too much. I didn't do a before and after measurement (as I should have) but I doubt I took off more than 1/100th of an inch from the lever. I rounded the back of the carrier pretty good and polished it up as well. The hitch is gone now and I'm happy as a Seahawk!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 92 Action hitch fixed

Post by akuser47 »

The lever detent is usaully the cause of this if it is what I think you felt in you operation of the lever I oilished mine out and cut a coil or so off this spring and it is amazing now. I like your direction though keep us posted to how it holds up and functions in the future for you. We all find our sweet spot on our own in most cases and maybe you found yours this way. Thanks for sharing. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Nathing32

Post by Nathing32 »

Akuser47 - the hitch was happening after the plunger had already popped out from the base of the lower tang. I first noticed the hitch only AFTER switching out the original lever plunger spring for the much softer one that came with the Gunslinger kit. I think this is because the original spring took so much effort to move the lever at the beginning of the cycle that this momentum carried me past the hitch and basically masked it. With the new spring the hitch was very noticeable and if I cycled the action relatively slowly it would actually freeze up the movement of the lever.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nathing32 wrote:Akuser47 - the hitch was happening after the plunger had already popped out from the base of the lower tang. I first noticed the hitch only AFTER switching out the original lever plunger spring for the much softer one that came with the Gunslinger kit. I think this is because the original spring took so much effort to move the lever at the beginning of the cycle that this momentum carried me past the hitch and basically masked it. With the new spring the hitch was very noticeable and if I cycled the action relatively slowly it would actually freeze up the movement of the lever.
I see well good work and thanks for reporting it so others can learn this fix. glad you got her sorted out.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Interesting. I might have noticed the same drag point but I habitually work the levers with intent to follow through the full range of motion.

akuser47, Both of my 92s seem to have the lever plunger point smoothed out from the get go. At least compared to the example shown in Steve's modification video that point is rounded and well blended not sharp.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very good reporting nathing32. I will add this to the list for my annual R92 tear down schedule!
Michael