First round getting ejected instead of chambering.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

First round getting ejected instead of chambering.

Post by klr »

I took my daughter out and shot a box of 38 special rounds this afternoon. These were mild loads of a light charge of Bullseye under a Lee 105gr SWC. The problem is that after loading the mag tube a quick racking of the lever would just spit out a round instead of chambering it and the bolt would close on the empty chamber. A slow racking would work to chamber a round and from then on it fed and ejected fine. I'm guessing it's the short 38 special brass combined with a very short bullet?

Edit: After posting this I noticed another thread with the exact same problem. His problem was fixed with a longer bullet. I'll use a 158gr swc and see what happens.

BTW, I was able to get 12 rounds in the magazine.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: First round getting ejected instead of chambering.

Post by akuser47 »

keep us posted some 92s like certain bullets for sure
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

An ounce of tune-up is worth a ton of fixin with a Rossi 92

Post by pricedo »

Like Steve Young of Steve's Gunz says in the 1st minute or 2 of his Rossi 92 DVD the 92s are ammo sensitive and you might have to tailor the ammo to the gun. :mrgreen:

Before trying any live ammo the best favor you can do yourself & your 92 is to strip the gun down & thoroughly clean it including inside the magazine tube and remove all the obvious rough spots and metal burrs.

After relubing with a quality temperature insensitive machine oil and breaking-in the gun by cycling the action at least 500 times you'll never know it was the same gun.

If this is done properly with no more metal removed than absolutely necessary the gun will be very slick (NOT SLOPPY....there's a difference).

The ammo that was experiencing digestion problems before the above tune-up will likely cycle through the action with you holding one finger in the finger lever.

My 3 x 92s are all like this.........I wouldn't have it any other way. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA