CVA Hunter Compact

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

CVA Hunter Compact

Post by Ranch Dog »

My Rossi 762MB has rekindled my interest in single shot rifles and as late the CVA Hunter Compact chambered in 35 Rem had caught my eye.
CVA5800.jpg
I had thought about buying a discontinued Rossi Single Shot chambered in 308 Win that had been holding my eye but didn't want to gear up for reloading. Sold all that back in the early eighties. I''m currently casting and reloading for my Marlin 336D so nothing to gear up on. So, that seems like justification enough!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: CVA Hunter Compact

Post by akuser47 »

That looks fun there is a new england single shot .223 locally that is new old stock has my attention i would rather have a single shot 7.62X39 but a .223 may satisfy my interests
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Where is the cva's made?? Spain? Do they use Bergera barrels. If so, excellent quality.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:That looks fun there is a new england single shot .223 locally that is new old stock has my attention i would rather have a single shot 7.62X39 but a .223 may satisfy my interests
The NEF single shot, break-open rifles are fine guns.........I own 2 of them........308 Win & 45-70.
My only regret is not buying one in 500 S&W when they were available........don't see a single one anywhere these days.
Remington bought NEF/H&R........goodness knows what changes if any they made since the takeover.
I hope Remington has lost the "we know better than the people who have been making these guns for 100 years" attitude that made the first 2 years of the Marlin acquisition such an unmitigated disaster.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Agreed i hope so. well i want a U.S. Gun company to make a centerfire single shot with multiple barrel options actaully availble. Not folklore barrels n chamberings. I would be so happy i know encore does have some options but some of their barrel assemblies are costly. I dont mind initial rifle cost being high if the barrels were cheaper
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:Agreed i hope so. well i want a U.S. Gun company to make a centerfire single shot with multiple barrel options actaully availble. Not folklore barrels n chamberings. I would be so happy i know encore does have some options but some of their barrel assemblies are costly. I dont mind initial rifle cost being high if the barrels were cheaper
The outrageously inflated costs of the T/C single shot offerings has kept me away from them for years.
Too bad cause T/C quality is excellent........my T/C Icon bolt rifle in 300 Win Mag is one of the most accurate rifles I own.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

pricedo wrote: My only regret is not buying one in 500 S&W when they were available........don't see a single one anywhere these days.
Well you are in luck if your still interested in one...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/929864952/Ha ... _Rifle.htm
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Where is the cva's made?? Spain? Do they use Bergera barrels. If so, excellent quality.
Yes, they are all made in Spain, muzzleloaders and centerfires. The Bergera barrels are used on high priced models. I'm a fan of the 35 Rem, always have been, and always thought it would be a good single shot offering. Some outfit made a special run of H&R barrels a decade ago but I had moved my three H&R rifles out and didn't want to get back into them. I owned both a pump and semi-auto and then the Marlin chambered in 35 Rem. The pump & semi-auto are gone, kind of wish I would have kept the pump though. It was a Savage 170 Carbine, a pretty good rifle.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Yes it is a favorite "woods" cartridge back east. I have it and 357 herret in t/c contender bbls , max speed out of those is 18-2000 fps but still good. As you proved with 7.62x39 you don't need a big supermag to do the job, just the right bullet design for the gun. I have friends that use a 270 win as their "woods" gun. Go figure?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:
pricedo wrote: My only regret is not buying one in 500 S&W when they were available........don't see a single one anywhere these days.
Well you are in luck if your still interested in one...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/929864952/Ha ... _Rifle.htm
Thanks for the reference.........at the price offered it's probably gone now.
I have plenty of shoulder cannons to keep both shoulders dislocated for the rest of my life.
Like I said before ........ I only have two hands........can't shoot em all.
No more space in my 3 safes and I'm not wrestling another steel safe into the gun room.

I'm pretty strict on safe storage.......the guns live trigger locked & in a safe when I'm not around and the ammo resides in locked steel boxes. The gun room itself is locked and has barred windows and the camouflaged bars are not visible from outside the house so they won't announce "valuables inside" to passers-bye.
When I'm travelling the guns are trigger locked and not visible from outside the vehicle and I don't mark my truck as a target for gun thieves by putting NRA stickers on the windows or have blaze orange hunting apparel visible from outside the truck.
The best safety locking device is the one between your ears and people knowing I have guns or where my guns are stored on a strictly need to know basis. My neighbours don't know I have guns cause they don't need to know. It's not really any of their business.
That kind of knowledge finds its way to the wrong ears at a speed that varies with the square of the number of people that know about your guns.
Guns, handguns especially, are a hot theft item for felons.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA