The Mystery Wood

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
pauco

Re: The Mystery Wood

Post by pauco »

Identifying wood is often easy,and at times downright difficult. There are species,and subspecies,and subspecies within the subspecies. Best way to be certain is to view it "on the stump",using the bark and leaves to positively identify it. Otherwise,you are relying to at least some extent on the mill that produced it. For instance there are more than 18 varieties of walnut. All are considered walnut,though they may vary greatly in appearance and color. Rubberwood is itself a subspecies of maple, so you would technically be correct in calling it maple,just more specific in calling it rubberwood. I'm confident its rubberwood,just not certain of the exact subspecies. Rubberwood is actually pretty good stuff, it's been sold in certain colorings as counterfeit teak, and teak ain't cheap ! Regarding the striping, some think that it occurs because of stress the tree was subjected to when young. High winds bend saplings,breaking fibers within the wood. Some think the "healing" that occurs results in striping or "flaming". No one really knows for certain. Rubberwood is gaining in popularity, you can find dining tables and chairs made from it at your local Walmart. compare the grain for yourself and see what you think.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I do agree rubberood is a an option to what we have been tryin to define this stock to. Only some will dissagree but I think u r are correct in this assumption.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I will drop mine from a tree and see if it bounces.... :lol: Whatever it is I like it. Other than being on the soft side mine looks good to me.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Lol
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!