Hello from down south

Tell us a bit about yourself!
swamprat1

Hello from down south

Post by swamprat1 »

Hello everyone. Ran across this forum while looking for some info on my Rio Grande. I bought my Rio a few months back hoping to really love the gun as I have always liked lever guns. A few weeks ago I had made the decision to sell the gun and get a bolt gun. This was due to problems with sighting it in. I'm sure several here know that the rear buckhorn is near worthless, at least mine kept jumping around with every shot. I then bought a set of tru-glo sights made for the marlin 336 and tried to make that work. Still no luck as I can't seem to get the blasted sights to line up properly. Which, it doesn't help that the front sight does not fit the dovetail to well.

Anyway, after having a few buyers drop at the last minute, I have done some soul searching and have decided to keep the gun. I really do like, just need to figure out something with the sights. And it does fit the bill for what I want in a gun. A good, fairly light brush gun that will put down hogs and deer.

May try putting the factory front sight back on for now and see if that works. I also have some other plans in the works, some of which is going to require me either learning some leatherworking skills or finding someone who does. Spent a great deal of time between rounds at work last night perusing the info here and just want to say thanks in advance for helping me get this fine rifle set up and for the info on the "Rossi" stuff that needs to be done out of the box. Had no idea about all that. Sounds like I've got some good times in store after I convince the missus that I really do need a set of gunsmithing tools! +guns
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Hello from down south

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome and keep us posted we all have been there.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Why not scope her or put a micro dot on less obtrusive very compact and could solve it easy cheesy keep us posted
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum swamprat! Yeah, might consider at low power scope. Also, it isn't too difficult to correct a loose dovetail fit. You can shim it or stake it.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I should have mentioned that shiming can make any sloppy dovetale tight if you dont have shim stock use pop can
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Keep us posted on your journey... As long as you are happy with it and the way it shoots that is all that matters.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson