Tube feeding

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Tube feeding

Post by golfish »

I know the .454 can be loaded both ways. Does anybody know of an aftermarket kit that will convert the other calibers. I figure all you would need is a new mag tube and a inner mag tube. If the mag tube was done right, you could probably use one from Henry.

BTW, Happy New years to all of you guys. I hope this year is better then last..
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Tube feeding

Post by akuser47 »

I think it could be a cool mod and easy on fingers of those that wish not to tune their rifles. I like the tube load and gate loading. Both are traditional as the original henry rifles were tube feed mag tubes not gated.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

akuser47 wrote:I think it could be a cool mod and easy on fingers of those that wish not to tune their rifles. I like the tube load and gate loading. Both are traditional as the original henry rifles were tube feed mag tubes not gated.

I'm just kind of shocked there hasn't been an aftermarket kit made or even one offered by Rossi. The inner tube from Henry should work. I wonder if its as simple as slotting the Rossi tube so the Henry inner tube would lock in. You wouldn't have the neat loading slot but you could remove the tube all the way and load from the end of the tube..Of course the Henry would only work on the 20" or carbine.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

golfish wrote:
akuser47 wrote:I think it could be a cool mod and easy on fingers of those that wish not to tune their rifles. I like the tube load and gate loading. Both are traditional as the original henry rifles were tube feed mag tubes not gated.

I'm just kind of shocked there hasn't been an aftermarket kit made or even one offered by Rossi. The inner tube from Henry should work. I wonder if its as simple as slotting the Rossi tube so the Henry inner tube would lock in. You wouldn't have the neat loading slot but you could remove the tube all the way and load from the end of the tube..Of course the Henry would only work on the 20" or carbine.
As long as I could get a spare tube for cheap I think I would actaully try this but not for what they probably want for the tube I will keep gate loading. maybe someday it will happen beens Rossi 92's have a seeming solid footing. Thanks to people like us loveing what they can be made to be. Just in the two years I have been on this site there are now well made walnut stocks available and aftermarket support will only get better as long as demand stays strong to show investors they can make a return on the products that are made. +corn
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I'll have to talk to my buddy at work about this. He's a machinist and we have a full blown machine shop, making the tube might be doable.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

One way to approach this, for a 45 Colt, would be to order the 454 parts and see if it would work. Possibly all that would be needed would be to work on the receiver's magazine port.

If I ever get to it, I might compare both of my rifles but it won't be any time soon.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ranch Dog wrote:One way to approach this, for a 45 Colt, would be to order the 454 parts and see if it would work. Possibly all that would be needed would be to work on the receiver's magazine port.

If I ever get to it, I might compare both of my rifles but it won't be any time soon.
See I like that allso if the tubes are cheap enough a dremel cutting wheel and a good file set should make the bullet port and locking slot for the tube spring/retaining assembly. Who knows may be easy but only an option if cost effective though
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Well dern, I'm right bass ackwards from what yall are saying. I want to do away with the double tube arrangement and make my 454 a single tube setup like all the others. Using the loading gate is just so simple and easy that I have never even put one in the other way. But I have filed the loading gate spring thin enough that it will open with Pinky pressure....that makes it a lot easier.

On making plain tube models into double tube style. It's not gonna be all that simple to do. I see where it could be done to a 357 model cause the mag tube is small enough in diameter that it is positioned far enough below the barrel that you might could open up the hole enough to get the double tube in there. But making that hole bigger is not going to be all that easy either. You Either have to take the barrel off or have a ream with a really long extension on it. And same for a tap if your thinking bout threading it like the 454. And I would suggest doing that as now the weight of the tube has at the least, doubled, and that is more that those two little grooves and the screw at the muzzle have to hold in place. And as we know, they barely do the job as it is. I have looked at this several time trying to come up with a way to thread that hole to eliminate the mag tube jumping problem, and to do away with that screw pushing up on the muzzle. It would work on the 357 (the one that needs it the least!), But the threads for it on the other calibers would get into the barrel......not good.

So, on the 44-45C models, since the hole for the mag tube is located too close to the bottom of the barrel to be enlarged ANY at all. How does the 454 (and I'm sure the 480 also) models do it? The mag tube hole in the receiver has been lowered quite a good bit. To make room for the doubled tube, and also for the threads of the screw in tube. Look at the carrier and you can see how it has a "bent down(?)" tip on it where the cartridges coming out of the mag tube, hit this ramp section to get onto the carrier. Without this ramp, they would hit the front edge of the standard type carrier and stop cold half way out of the tube. The "ramp" is there because the cartridges are lower entering the receiver. That's also why (lower mag tube) the forend for the 454/480 does not fit the other models. Well it's lower AND also bigger in diameter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That is a fact you always see into things better than I can picture them. I am a hillbilly and if I can get a factory tube cheap enough for the brazteck blued 20" I will gladly give it a go I suspect the spring cap assembly will be the most cost and pain to find. Heck maybe I will just put a hopper to the side and then have 50 rounds :lol:. Like doc in back to the future the win. 1873 he had shooting the rope
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

donhuff wrote:Well dern, I'm right bass ackwards from what yall are saying. I want to do away with the double tube arrangement and make my 454 a single tube setup like all the others. Using the loading gate is just so simple and easy that I have never even put one in the other way.
I recall the 2nd or 3rd time we took out the Henry, loaded it up and the inner tube shoot strait out on the first shot :) The rubber O ring that holds it tight must of broke off.

I have no problem using the gate, my two 92's have broken in very nice. Like a lot of people, I removed the lawyer safety. In hindsight, I feel this makes the gun a little unsafe to unload. Having a tube feed option would be safer and easier.

Looking at it closer and reading some of the replies I would thing the Henry inner tube would work only if you used a larger dia mag tube. I think I'll mention to the wife that I need to buy a Henry Big Boy in .357 so I can look at this closer ;) wish me luck with that :)
akuser47 wrote: As long as I could get a spare tube for cheap I think I would actaully try this but not for what they probably want for the tube I will keep gate loading.
I guess Rossi is still bring the parts to Florida on that same old row boat, and of course they only bring one part at a time :D