Pin on safety not coming out

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
armymutt

Pin on safety not coming out

Post by armymutt »

I got a plug from Steve's Gunz for each of my M92s. Started on the first one tonight and it's not moving. Do I have to re-install the firing pin retaining pin? I've tried it with the safety on both safe and fire.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pin on safety not coming out

Post by Ranch Dog »

armymutt wrote:I got a plug from Steve's Gunz for each of my M92s. Started on the first one tonight and it's not moving. Do I have to re-install the firing pin retaining pin? I've tried it with the safety on both safe and fire.
If the Locking Pin (86) is out, the Safety assembly will pull out. There is a spring and bb in there that might be in a bind. You might also want to keep track of both as you pull it out and bag them.
Michael
armymutt

Post by armymutt »

The locking pin won't come out. I bent my punch trying to get it to budge. I assume the pin through the bolt is the locking pin.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

armymutt wrote:The locking pin won't come out. I bent my punch trying to get it to budge. I assume the pin through the bolt is the locking pin.
Hmmmm... all I can think of right now it to show you the safety plug and it's parts. The slight recess on the plug, about half way down the cylinder, is what rides on the pin.

Is the safety rotated to "Safe"?
Michael
4kdave

Post by 4kdave »

Did you drive it out from the left side as per Steve's instructions? As RD said should be off safe & on fire
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have ran into this on a tuneup I did, and found the pin to be bent causeing the safety to be jammed in the bolt I had to really hammer it to get it out and then used a shank from a drill bit I cut to size had to sand it and smooth it out to fit it, if I remember correctly and replaced it with this. No problem from this point on. Keep us posted I will look through my notes to see if I have forgot anything that may help. and as already stated from left to right to remove, from right to left to insert.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
armymutt

Post by armymutt »

Driving it from the left side and all. Guess I'll take it to a gunsmith and see if they can get it out.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If you have a vise that is what I had to use when I had the bent pin. I put wood jaw pieces on the vise so it would not damage the bolt.
armymutt

Post by armymutt »

Figured out what my issue was. Ended up having to use a variety of stronger punches than what comes with Steve's kit. Turns out my gun was put together backward, so I was driving the knurled part of the pin all the way through. Correct disassembly for my bolt would have been right to left. Fixed it now. Doesn't seem to be too loose.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Thats good to hear