Why are 92's difficult to find ?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
VisuallyRich

Why are 92's difficult to find ?

Post by VisuallyRich »

For the past year I have searched for pistol caliber carbines either a Rossi or a more expensive Cimaron or Uberti and DARN they are hard to find, can anyone tell me why. I have been searching for case hardened .357 in a 20 in barrel but all I can seem to find is the carbine in .357 blue. Today I found a 24in Case Hardened .44mag and since I have a case hardened Vaquero in .44mag also decided to buy it anyway.

Can anyone tell me why ANY of these lever guns are so tough to find ? Particularly the Rossi's ? With the exception of finding one used by luck can anyone point me in the right direction as to where they are stocked, I have even asked dealers to order me one and they all day "unavailable" I have even had dealers tell me they are no longer made.

I am a photographer and will be using this one mostly as a prop...but I do wish to get involved in cowboy shooting so I am still searching for a .357 and mate that up with a pair of matched vaqueros once found.

Thanks,
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Why are 92's difficult to find ?

Post by donhuff »

I'm not sure that I'm correct on this or not, but it seems like there has been a recent surge of interest in lever guns, in the last couple of years. It seems like everybody is wanting one...or more, I have bought 6 since last May, and am planing to get more soon. I had not even shot one until last year (I'm 60 now). I worked on my son's Marlin trying to get it to feed SWCs better and fell in love.

To me, the lever gun gives you something to do instead of just pulling a trigger. But then, I have always liked pump shotguns for the same reason. The 92 platform is so compact and light, easy to carry and shoulder, comes in an array of calibers from mild to ridiculously powerful (see RD's recent post about his 454 load).

And if your a reloader, which a lot of us are, it only gets better.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

VisuallyRich wrote:For the past year I have searched for pistol caliber carbines either a Rossi or a more expensive Cimaron or Uberti and DARN they are hard to find, can anyone tell me why. I have been searching for case hardened .357 in a 20 in barrel but all I can seem to find is the carbine in .357 blue. Today I found a 24in Case Hardened .44mag and since I have a case hardened Vaquero in .44mag also decided to buy it anyway.

Can anyone tell me why ANY of these lever guns are so tough to find ? Particularly the Rossi's ? With the exception of finding one used by luck can anyone point me in the right direction as to where they are stocked, I have even asked dealers to order me one and they all day "unavailable" I have even had dealers tell me they are no longer made.

I am a photographer and will be using this one mostly as a prop...but I do wish to get involved in cowboy shooting so I am still searching for a .357 and mate that up with a pair of matched vaqueros once found.

Thanks,
Rich
Try Buds on the internet for good prices and service as a rule. They often have them in various calibers and finishes including case hardened which I am a fan of also.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Simply put... demand.
Michael
VisuallyRich

Post by VisuallyRich »

Yea I have searched Bud's often but never has Buds had that model at least when I look.I think I have now set up notification for when it gets listed.
As far as demand locally the dealers look at me cross eyed when I ask no one stocks them. Yestedays was the first I found around here.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

VisuallyRich wrote:Yea I have searched Bud's often but never has Buds had that model at least when I look.I think I have now set up notification for when it gets listed.
As far as demand locally the dealers look at me cross eyed when I ask no one stocks them. Yestedays was the first I found around here.
I was looking for a 1873 model Cimarron 45 Colt with a 7.5" barrel a couple of years back and asked Bud's to order me one. They found one in two days and got it cheaper than their normal supplier saving me $20 on the gun. I had similar results finding a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt with 20" octagon barrel. Both guns I requested case hardened finish on which where hard to get at that time, between runs.
Joe
Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

I found mine 357 24inch case hardened on gunbroker.. got lucky and found a NIB for $425..
Chris Hunter
Rossi 92 357 24inch octagon case hardened.
pauco

Post by pauco »

Seems that across the country right now, pistol caliber lever actions are in huge demand. Possibly because they make great home defense guns,light,fast,great handling,plenty of ammo capacity, but without the intimidating appearance of the AR's. Folks seem to have "caught on". My local gun shops get them in fairly often,usually a dozen or more at the time,and they sell out within days. Rossi seems to be able to keep up with demand a little better than their competitors, i see more Rossi's than anything else, but I've never seen one case hardened,only the catalog photos. Due to the demand, I also see some price "gouging" going on. In my area,the Ranch Hand is often priced up to 50% more than the carbine,even though dealer cost is a few dollars less. Apparently,demand exceeds supply.
VisuallyRich

Post by VisuallyRich »

Thanks for the tip on Bud's I will give them a call next month (tapped out for this month) and see if they can track one down for me in .357.
willygene

Post by willygene »

There are 254 rossi rifles listed under lever action on gun broker right now.