Rear sight that fits scope base?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
35Rem

Re: Rear sight that fits scope base?

Post by 35Rem »

Ok. Am I crazy? I think this will work
I got my scope base in today. Trying to figure out a rear sight still. I was diggin through stuff and found a sling swivel stud threaded all the way to the bottom. I think I can drill and thread a hole in the scope base and shorten the swivel stud shank to fit in. Have to get it to index straight. May have to adjust the front sight for windage and elevation (skinner front?)

What do you think?

High enough rings to clear it and it's there if needed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I think this is a way to go keep us posted or get a magpul bius that can fit that rail possibly. For a really compact ghostring style rear ur sling stud sight may work.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I bet you could use flat washers under the "peep" to get it indexed correctly.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

I thought about a tight o-ring, too
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

Progress. Got ahold of a tap and die set. Uh oh. The swivel stud pictured above looks like a 10-40 thread instead of the now standard 10-32 fine thread...
The modern Uncle Mikes swivel studs are 10-32, BUT they aren't threaded all the way to the base of the stud.

TO THE INTERNETS!

Found a thread on marlinowners where a guy tapped a barrel band for a short swivel stud. He finished the threads by screwing the stud into the other side of the die. The stud is small enough to fit into the recessed side. YES! It works.

Got the base drilled and tapped. It's not perfectly centered... :( I hope that's ok and not too far off to adjust the front sight if needed. As a result, the swivel stud won't screw all the way down, but it did index pretty well. I think I'll have to relieve the scope base just a touch where it tapers to the middle of the channel so the stud can screw on down as far as possible.

I plan to drill out the hole as large as possible, as this will be a forward mounted peep. Also will bevel the holes to allow as much light into it. Drop it in some Oxphoblue when I'm done and should be good to go.

First time trying this, so I'm learning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Hey you will not know till you try it. It may be dead on. For a backup keep us posted good work. Thanks for the update.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

It's about as low a rear as one could put on the scope base. Knowing these things shoot high I figured that was important. Still might need a taller front on this 16" 44 mag.

So far I like the way it's setting up. Have to finish out the stud and shorten it and blue it. Get the base mounted and take it to the range and give it a whirl!

Thanks
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Necessity is the mother of invention. ;)
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

Think I got it. Should be pretty rugged.
I drilled the hole out with a #21 bit (same used to tap the base) and then tapered the openings on each end with a 5/16" bit to let more light in (I think). That gives me about a 0.159" aperture. The Marbles Bullseye rear is 0.150 (as far as I can tell).
Last edited by 35Rem on 26 Jan 2014 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
johnreilly

Post by johnreilly »

Nice work!