Knuckle Buster

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Recruit

Re: Knuckle Buster

Post by Recruit »

Ummmm....that ^^ would work even better. +guns
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I saw on a movie once (I know...it was a movie :roll: ) where the bomb squad guy wearing one of those suits said... I'm wearing this suit so that there is enough of me still together, so that the family has something to bury!!!
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

RD,
What fails on the bullets at this pressure level, using your normal alloy? I understand that they cannot hold the pressure, but can you tell us exactly what is failing (what,where,why)? Stripped rifling,deformed base,gas cutting?

If you'd send me some of your bullets and let me powder coat them, I'll bet we could elemiate the leading completely. Then you could shoot it 100 times at a sitting. :lol:
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

donhuff wrote:What fails on the bullets at this pressure level, using your normal alloy? I understand that they cannot hold the pressure, but can you tell us exactly what is failing (what,where,why)? Stripped rifling,deformed base,gas cutting?
It is just a gray ash in the barrel that starts to accumulate. If you use just a copper brush, it comes out as dust without any effort. I wrap a patch around the brush so it collects on the cotton rather than down in the action. I really don't know if it affects accuracy as my shooting session is not long enough.

My guess is that it is just what it is from ogive contact with the bore. My bullet nose is clean but if had a thin coat of alox it would probably eliminate it. The bullet has wet alox on it at 100-yards as it is splattering the hole that is cut through the paper.
donhuff wrote:If you'd send me some of your bullets and let me powder coat them, I'll bet we could elemiate the leading completely. Then you could shoot it 100 times at a sitting. :lol:
I will do that.
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I'll be looking for them.

But you missed my question about "what fails at this pressure level, with your normal alloy".

Did you actually have problems with your old alloy? Or did you just add the Linotype cause that's common practice?
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

donhuff wrote:I saw on a movie once (I know...it was a movie :roll: ) where the bomb squad guy wearing one of those suits said... I'm wearing this suit so that there is enough of me still together, so that the family has something to bury!!!
I think RD is more like this Sgt. I love his line if I'm going to die I want to be comfortable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GxSDZc8etg
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

donhuff wrote:But you missed my question about "what fails at this pressure level, with your normal alloy".
If the strength of the alloy is exceeded, I think the object that the alloy is molded into is crushed. No different that hitting it with a mallet. In the case of 454 Casull, you are hitting it with a bigger mallet at the shot.
donhuff wrote:Did you actually have problems with your old alloy? Or did you just add the Linotype cause that's common practice?
No problem with the alloy as I didn't shoot my Lyman #2 home brew at this pressure. I know the mess it will create from my experience using it in cartridges like the 444 and 450 Marlin. Linotype is a tougher alloy.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:
donhuff wrote:I saw on a movie once (I know...it was a movie :roll: ) where the bomb squad guy wearing one of those suits said... I'm wearing this suit so that there is enough of me still together, so that the family has something to bury!!!
I think RD is more like this Sgt. I love his line if I'm going to die I want to be comfortable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GxSDZc8etg
I on the other hand don't want to die anytime soon and besides I've been diagnosed with shrapnel sensitive skin so when I'm hunting a critter that needs more than a ton and a half of muzzle engergy from a big bore I'll grab my Remington model 700 in 416 Rem Mag and that way neither the 2 legged critter behind the gun nor the 4 legged critter in front of it will suffer any unecessary pain.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

pricedo wrote: I've been diagnosed with shrapnel sensitive skin
That's tooooo funny.... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson