yellow plastic follower sticks

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: yellow plastic follower sticks

Post by pricedo »

Freebore or no my M92/454 will turn the 2" black circle on the target paper at 50 yards into one ragged edged hole shot over factory iron sights with my elbows resting on the shooting bench using the 255 grain WInchester "brown box" Cowboy Action 45 LC ammo............that's goodenuf for me. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
retiredpo

Post by retiredpo »

Don, Ref. your picture, that is what I meant, I was told that was call fire bluing, or charcol bluing...
but that is it....
Ref. the 45 Long Colt.... I have only owned it 2 days... and that glow you see comming from the north west in the evening isnt the northern lights,... it is the beaming of my smile.... holy cow do I love how this one shoots... the 44 is an heavier octagon barrel, it shoots fine,... but the 45lc... just matches up with my daughters judge, and my son has "the of god "he bought,... and I just love the 45 lc....

the 44 may go on the block soon... well see.... I just ordered a NOE mold for it... so Ill hang on for a little while...
thanks again.
retiredpo

Post by retiredpo »

Don, Ref. your picture, that is what I meant, I was told that was call fire bluing, or charcol bluing...
but that is it....
Ref. the 45 Long Colt.... I have only owned it 2 days... and that glow you see comming from the north west in the evening isnt the northern lights,... it is the beaming of my smile.... holy cow do I love how this one shoots... the 44 is an heavier octagon barrel, it shoots fine,... but the 45lc... just matches up with my daughters judge, and my son has "the of god "he bought,... and I just love the 45 lc....

the 44 may go on the block soon... well see.... I just ordered a NOE mold for it... so Ill hang on for a little while...
thanks again.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Ok then, yeah that is what use to be called "color case hardening" In the day, they hardened metals with a concoction of stuff, and it came out looking something like that on the rossis. The real thing looks a lot better that the rossi's that I have seen. I think rossi found a way to imitate it, since that kind of hardening is not used much anymore. Still looks good to me tho. Do a google search for "color case hardening" and click images. some of that stuff is beautiful.

I wouldn't get rid of the 44, I know it's heavy, but it is a rifle and not a carbine.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
retiredpo

Post by retiredpo »

I will look it up...
With Age they say comes wisdom ( my wife sometimes questions the adage with me.)
but I have learned that listening to folks who have a lot more knowledge and experience has and usually
does prove to be prudent. Consider it kept....
I saw somewhere where you were getting scoping info.... with my aging eyes, i am a much more consistant
shot with a scope than I am with iorn.... would you recommend a way to go, and then how is it mounted to a 92.
retiredpo

Post by retiredpo »

I will look it up...
With Age they say comes wisdom ( my wife sometimes questions the adage with me.)
but I have learned that listening to folks who have a lot more knowledge and experience has and usually
does prove to be prudent. Consider it kept....
I saw somewhere where you were getting scoping info.... with my aging eyes, i am a much more consistant
shot with a scope than I am with iorn.... would you recommend a way to go, and then how is it mounted to a 92.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

retiredpo wrote:I will look it up...
does prove to be prudent.
Consider it kept....
You'll find a wide spectrum of guns, accessories & methodologies discussed on this board.
In the end most people pick & choose what they like, what is more suitable to their needs and what they can afford from that wide spectrum.
You can state (poilitely, without the use of offensive language) a divergent opinion here and not be insulted & ganged up on in force like happens on a few other gun forums that most of us know about where the threads soon cease to be about the guns and devolve into being a slugging match about emerging personality conflicts and egos.
Not saying there isn't any well intended humor & ribbing from time to time but it stays polite & amicable.
All in all a good place to hang around.
Thank you for that RD.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Yes, for Christmas I got a weaver 4x28 classic scout scope. It is made to be used on guns like our rossis, with just the right amount of eye relief. I had tried another brand first but did not like it. It was made for a pistol, but I was able to adjust it to get a good enough picture to use it on the rossi. I shot 2" groups without the scope, and 6" groups with it! It was junk. The Weaver is nice and clear and sharp. It's very light to, if that matters. The pictures make it look big, but it is not, the carbine is just so small. Shooting 100y groups is no longer a guessing game and focusing workout. Put the cross hairs on the dot and squeeze. I did this at 100 and kinda rapid fire. As soon as I could get on the dot and pull the trigger, I'd rack in another and do it again.

There are threaded holes under the rear sight on the carbines, but I have read that there are none on the rifles. I got my scope from optics planet, and got the base and rings from amazon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

is this your 16" carbine? I like it is sight picture hard to acqiure with the stock?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

yes 16" 357.

The sight pic is amazingly easy to acquire. You throw the thing up to your shoulder like normal and it's there. I tried it a few times with eyes closed until I thought I was ready then opened, and 9 out of 10 it was almost perfect. I do have to hold my head up a tad, and I can see where the raised cheek piece would help. I'll bet you could get some low mounts and it would be just like the iron sights using the low stock.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70