yellow plastic follower sticks

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
retiredpo

yellow plastic follower sticks

Post by retiredpo »

Very new to this sight, Very new to Rossi, read enough to make my eyes bleed... cant believe how much good info in on here..... Bought a 45LC Rossi on Cast Bullets,... still waiting for it to get here.... but a 44 Mag Oct barrel came up locally and a friend to me to jump on it... so I did... Im in Love....
Only issue is the yellow plastic follower jams, or gets hung up on something,... it may be cracked.. cant tell
but if I mess with it, it frees up and then I can proceed... whats my fix...
thanks ahead of time.... Im gonna need to learn about scopeing also, at my age its becomming a necessity.
ps... it has that charcol blueing or fire bluing... is that factory????
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: yellow plastic follower sticks

Post by joec »

retiredpo wrote:Very new to this sight, Very new to Rossi, read enough to make my eyes bleed... cant believe how much good info in on here..... Bought a 45LC Rossi on Cast Bullets,... still waiting for it to get here.... but a 44 Mag Oct barrel came up locally and a friend to me to jump on it... so I did... Im in Love....
Only issue is the yellow plastic follower jams, or gets hung up on something,... it may be cracked.. cant tell
but if I mess with it, it frees up and then I can proceed... whats my fix...
thanks ahead of time.... Im gonna need to learn about scopeing also, at my age its becomming a necessity.
ps... it has that charcol blueing or fire bluing... is that factory????
Get a metal one from http://www.thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html or other sources. This is the first thing I change in mine right after testing if it cycles and shoots.
Joe
retiredpo

Post by retiredpo »

thank you sir. I will get on it.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Replacing the plastic magazine follower is part of my NIB Rossi tune-up regimen.
I remove the plastic follower when I scrub the mag tube with a gun cleaning rod & copper brush (using brake parts cleaner or Hoppes #9 as solvent) followed by rag patches.
In goes a new SS follower with the spring after the thorough cleaning.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

If that follower is snagging, it has to be snagging on something, and there is not suppose to be anything in that tube for it to snag on.

So while you have it apart for cleaning and before you put it back together with the new follower, look down the bore of the mag tube to see what it was hitting. It's not to unusual for there to be a "bugger ' where they drill/mash the groove for the forearm band screw.

Drop the follower in the tube and see if it falls all the way through without snagging up again, BEFORE you put it back together, and then find it out.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

What Don said. Might be a small dent in the mag tube that slows it down enough to stop it. Worth a look. The follower may be damaged. Seems the conventional wisdom is to use a metal one. Nothing wrong with that, really.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

When I do my initial cleaning and smoothing, I find an old bolt in my scrap bolt bucket, that is big enough, and turn it down to make a new follower. And I have had to find a socket or something that just barely fits inside the tube, and drive it past that "bugger", a few times, to open the tube up.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

35Rem wrote:What Don said. Might be a small dent in the mag tube that slows it down enough to stop it. Worth a look. The follower may be damaged. Seems the conventional wisdom is to use a metal one. Nothing wrong with that, really.
It may not be the follower at all but a dent in the tube caused by Rossis slam-bang forearm installation methodology where parts that don't fit are literally forced together. A plastic follower may (or may not) squeeze by any constriction in the magazine tube where a metal follower will likely hang-up because it won't bend.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
retiredpo

Post by retiredpo »

This is part of the bonding process... Im sure..... I went to the link and ordered the follower, but also have the disc that tells me how to clean and flush... so while waiting for the part I did,... all went well.... the plastic follower did have issues comming out,... I did the brakecleaner and oil process... and used a wire brush on the mag tube.... put it all back together,... and at first it seemed to work better, but in the morning, the yellow follower still sticks,.. and now the piece that lifts the new bullet up to chamber, is stuck in the down position and wont come up..... any ideas.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

That part is called a carrier.

It's stuck? You mean that when you push the lever forward all the way, it does not pop up?

That pointed part of the lever just in front of the trigger guard. Hits the pad on the bottom of the carrier and pushes it up. A good firm snap forward on the lever should make it move.

There is a detent ball and spring in the carrier and a couple of notches cut into the side of the receiver, that sets and holds the carrier in it's full up and down positions. That spring is really strong and makes it hard to operate. also the ball is usually not too smooth and the cuts in the receiver have sharp edges to them. All this makes for rough operation. I clip coils off the spring and polish the ball and grooves.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70