92 Loading Gate sits Proud and Snags

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Recruit

92 Loading Gate sits Proud and Snags

Post by Recruit »

I've read a few posts about the loading gate being properly recessed on a Rossi 92. However, I have the opposite problem.

One of the front corners of the loading gate sits just above the receiver. Haven't cut myself yet but easily could. I don't think it's bent, just out of adjustment perhaps? Is this an easy fix?

A picture is worth a thousand words but the derrned camera is broke right now. :(
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 92 Loading Gate sits Proud and Snags

Post by akuser47 »

Have you flushed the action and barrel and mag tube yet with brake fluid non chlorinated. It may just be gunk in there making it hang.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Recruit wrote:I've read a few posts about the loading gate being properly recessed on a Rossi 92. However, I have the opposite problem.

One of the front corners of the loading gate sits just above the receiver. Haven't cut myself yet but easily could. I don't think it's bent, just out of adjustment perhaps? Is this an easy fix?
I think I would take it out and look at it. It must be sprung or bent to be that far out.
Michael
Recruit

Post by Recruit »

Thanks guys. I'll take it apart and have a look.

Just bought the gun used so am interested anyway to see what the inside of one of these looks like :)
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Reminds me of the opening credits of the old Ben Casey show (younger members won't remember it) when the ambulance attendents are wheeling the unconscious patient at break neck speed down the hall & into the emergency OR to the tune of fast tempo music.
Sometime you need to grit your teeth and open the gun up and clean & deburr the action & mag tube.
A couple of hours of work & patience invested in the gun will pay big dividents in smoothness & dependability down the road.
The crud when mixed with oil makes a grinding compond that will cause stiffness & premature wear.
The crud has got to come out and while the rifle is apart you might as well deburr it.
It's nothing to be afraid of & it's definitely not rocket science. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Just bought the gun used so am interested anyway to see what the inside of one of these looks like :)

UH-OH.... I remember feeling like that back in the early 60s, every time I got a new toy. And it hasn't changed since then either.

I sure was glad when I got a little older and could figure out how to put stuff BACK together!
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

donhuff wrote:Just bought the gun used so am interested anyway to see what the inside of one of these looks like :)

UH-OH.... I remember feeling like that back in the early 60s, every time I got a new toy. And it hasn't changed since then either.

I sure was glad when I got a little older and could figure out how to put stuff BACK together!
And you're not without resources ......this site, you-tube and other forums where RGs & 92s are discussed.
For 92s if you can afford a copy of Steve's Gunz tune-up DVD get one....it is excellent.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA