Making the lever larger

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
bexm1tanker

Making the lever larger

Post by bexm1tanker »

The lever on my 92 is extremely tight while using it with a gloved hand. Has anyone enlarged the lever on their 92? I have no interest in going to the "Mule Loop" size of the Rifleman's but would like to make it about a half inch longer and drop the bottom of the lever slightly.

I have found Mulemangunworks.com but wondering if their are any others.

If anyone has any contacts for people who do this kind of work I would be greatly appreciative.

Bill
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Making the lever larger

Post by Rooster59 »

Muleman does some great work. You could do worse.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would like a larger lever on both my 454 Casull and 480 Ruger. My knuckle on my third finger is taking a beating. I looked at Muleman but honestly, it is more than I wanted to spend to get one, $105, plus the downtime not having the lever. I probably will come around as each time I shoot these rifles my knuckle tells me to spend the money.

I don't care for either of his samples for the Rossi but would like the "Hunter" style he offers for the Marlins (last image).
muleman_c1_rossi.jpg
muleman_c4_rossi_custom.jpg
muleman_h4_rossi_1894_hunter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I'm like bexm. I don't care for the commercially available larger loops I've seen. The huge ones look like a liability to handle where I store and use a rifle. The hunter style appear to be just that, for style. They bulge at the end where my smallest finger is. The shape is in reverse to my way of thinking.

A lever that is just a tad larger in length and depth (width?) would be great for lighter gloves. It is hard to swallow $100 for a custom made lever but it is even harder to find someone who does it well, and exactly like you want it.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

for an extra $10 he will make any shape you sketch out.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I hate the looks of those big levers.
The M92/454 is the only one of my 92s that will rap my knuckles........the 357 & 44 Mag M92s my mother could shoot one handed.
I just braid wrap a softened rawhide leather strip around the outside circumference of the finger lever......problem solved. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
MuckyPup

Post by MuckyPup »

I will say that is precisely why I got my 357 m92 with the big loop, for gloved hands. Looks like you need muleworks or some willing to swap.
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

I can only fit three fingers in the standard Rossi loop. Have thought about making a longer one but suspect the M92 will look a bit odd with it. Getting used to the three finger as of late.
Aim small, miss small.
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

Only 3? How many do you need in there? :D
Trigger finger shouldn't operate the lever.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

35Rem wrote:Only 3? How many do you need in there? :D
Trigger finger shouldn't operate the lever.
My RG & 3 x M92s are tuned up like a Swiss watch and need very little force on the finger lever to operate the action.
I could cycle ammo through any of them easily with one finger.
If you need lots of "armstrong" to cycle the action the gun needs a cleaning, tune-up or something else is wrong.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA