Remington 1858

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Flynnismydog

Remington 1858

Post by Flynnismydog »

I'm thinking of getting a remington 1858. Just wondering what make to get and also do you measure 777 powder with a black powder measure. Thanks
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Remington 1858

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I would look at the Pietta line. They make very nice repros.
Cannot help you on the non BP's. I use 3F and have no desire to use the others. When I get up north and start to run low I will order a case full at Powder Valley.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Flynnismydog

Remington 1858

Post by Flynnismydog »

Thanks for the reply mike i will take a look at the Pitta range. The reason I was looking at 777 Is that in the uk you need a explosives licence to buy black powder, but 777 is classed as a propellent so any one can buy it. Even though it's 15% more powerful than black powder. The gun laws here suck :)
Mike Weber

Re: Remington 1858

Post by Mike Weber »

I've owned a few of them, both Pietta's and Uberti's. In my view the quality of the Pietta revolvers now matches that of Uberti. This wasn't always the case. Pietta's are also priced much lower than the Uberti. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking Uberti I've owned several of them. I used a pair of Pietta Remington 58's with R&D conversion cylinders in .45 Colt as my main match pistols in SASS competition along with a Uberti Henry rifle. The Remingtons are great shooting revolvers and accurate but the actions are no where near as smooth as Colt percussion revolvers.
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixee?

http://www.shootersfreehold.com/Forums
A board for those “regular folks” who have a serious interest in firearms and the shooting sports, Preparedness, Camping, Fishing and other outdoor activities.