.38/.357 damaging cases on feeding

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: .38/.357 damaging cases on feeding

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:With the bolt open, slide a new cartridge into the chamber by hand. Get it flush into the chamber if you can. This might take a little bit of pressure with something like the end eraser end of a pencil. Push the cartridge out with a cleaning rod. Any damage.

If none, cycle a cartridge but stop short of it moving off the carrier. Remove it and see if it is damaged.

If not, cycle another and stop it as the bullet enters the chamber. Remove it and see if it is damage.

These steps are to identify the point at which the cartridge is being damaged.

yep, the "plunk test" in the chamber would certainly be a start
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
armymutt

Re: .38/.357 damaging cases on feeding

Post by armymutt »

Took it out shooting today, which was frustrating. I had a hard time getting the .38s to go into the magazine, same with the .357s. The 38s sometimes cycled, same with the .357s. I didn't have any round nose .357s - just some SWCs. I'm figuring that's an issue there. Got home and dug around in the ammo and found some Federal PD .357 JHPs. Initially had the same issues with loading the magazine, but the final attempt seemed to go smoothly. Probably going to have to see if there is something they are snagging on when I take it apart to do the springs. I have noticed that this rifle is much, much stiffer than the two round barrel M92s (44 and 45). It also likes to launch the brass, unlike the other two. Going to have to see if I can find some round nose flat point bullets to load in my 38 brass - haven't slugged the barrel yet.