thinking of ordering a semi-custom rifle

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: thinking of ordering a semi-custom rifle

Post by akuser47 »

Yes savage rifles i have owned .308 .223, 338 lupau you can remove the barrel and even change calibers a vise a barrel nut wrench i should say at least the rifles Ive owned. You have to understand that the bolt head may need swapped and to be safe have or borrow a go no go gauge to check headspace.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Changing a barrel on the Savage is fairly easy. You could buy the stock rifle and change the barrel yourself. Then sell the original barrel.

Concerning the barrel erosion, if you want that type of long range power, then handload a light load for practice and save the burners for hunting. Should last a long time that way. And you can replace the Savage barrel easily if necessary.

But, I understand the custom rifle. I would say get the one that you really want up front.
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

i'v moved on from ordering a custom and now plan to build the gun myself. even the Shaw didn't have all the things I wanted, I didn't care for the blind magazine. looking for the right donor to rebarrel now.

not too worried about barrel erosion, figure the lighter 120-130gr bullets work great for what I want and they prefer the use of a faster burning powder that is not so rough on the throat (my hand loads). also even if the barrel lasts only 1,000 rounds, that will be many years of shooting for me.
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

well, I now have the base to this poject, a new 116 FLHSS in .300Win mag. I saw it on clearance at a nearby Scheel's store and thought about it for 2days and just knew that if I waited to search all the gunshows that it wouldn't be there a month from now. got it for $649 which is $80 off the regular there and $50 less than any of the local dealers quoted me. ordered my barrel from McGowen, 26" SS fluted in magnum contour, should be here in 12weeks they say. then i'll resell the unfired takeoff barrel.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

44WCF wrote:well, I now have the base to this poject, a new 116 FLHSS in .300Win mag. I saw it on clearance at a nearby Scheel's store and thought about it for 2days and just knew that if I waited to search all the gunshows that it wouldn't be there a month from now. got it for $649 which is $80 off the regular there and $50 less than any of the local dealers quoted me. ordered my barrel from McGowen, 26" SS fluted in magnum contour, should be here in 12weeks they say. then i'll resell the unfired takeoff barrel.
Very good! The McGowen will be a 264 Win Mag?
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44WCF wrote:well, I now have the base to this poject, a new 116 FLHSS in .300Win mag. I saw it on clearance at a nearby Scheel's store and thought about it for 2days and just knew that if I waited to search all the gunshows that it wouldn't be there a month from now. got it for $649 which is $80 off the regular there and $50 less than any of the local dealers quoted me. ordered my barrel from McGowen, 26" SS fluted in magnum contour, should be here in 12weeks they say. then i'll resell the unfired takeoff barrel.
The accuracy chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
In most cases that weakest link is the shooter.
A stock NIB Savage 116 FLHSS is probably more accurate than most shooters admittedly INCLUDING ME and I would gain nothing except a lighter wallet from installing a custom barrel on the Savage rifle spoken of.
But if you're good enough to advantage yourself of any perceived or actual accuracy gain from installing the McGowen barrel on a gun that is probably very accurate NIB my hat goes off to you Sir.

Savage rifles are known for their accurate barrels........even the low end versions.
I own 2 x SS Savage 116 rifles ....... a 30-06 Sprng & a 375 Ruger as well as a Savage Model 11FCNS in 308 Win and I will freely admit they are all considerably more accurate than I am with the factory barrels.

But your project should make for a more interesting winter than doing crossword puzzles & counting snow flakes fall past the window............good luck & keep us posted. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

Michael, the new barrel will be a .264win mag.

Pricedo, the new barrel has little to do with accuracy, and everything to do with being the most cost and time effective way to get a lefthanded .264win mag, aside from the little $115 splurge on the fluting.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Each time you mention 264 Win Mag, it brings me back a few years. It was a very popular cartridge here in South Texas, 60's to early 70's, much more so than the 7mm Rem Mag. A very good friend of mine had a Model 70 in that cartridge and I saw him make some impressive distance shots on javelina with that rifle.
Michael
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

it's interesting that you say the .264 was more popular that at that late of a date, I wasn't even born then. but most of the nay-sayers would have us believe that the .264 was nearly dead by '62 or at least that it died an instant dead in '62 when the 7mmRM came out. but it did have a 4year jump on the 7, so plenty on guns would have already been in the field, I suppose. my ideal would be a m70 in .264win mag, but I don't think any were ever built in left hand, not as regular production any ways. there was a new stainless synthetic m70 in .264 on the shelf where I bought my rifle, it was also on clearance, for $999 down from $1149. right handed or course. Winchester is not currently making ANY left handed guns, since the move to the new plant, their LH selection was always weak. I do feel slightly betrayed by then.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Winchester was strong in South Texas but died slowly in the 70's. By the 80's the Rem 700 was King. And yes, betrayed is a good way to describe the feeling.
Michael