thinking of ordering a semi-custom rifle

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: thinking of ordering a semi-custom rifle

Post by Ranch Dog »

44WCF wrote:this is good to know, I may do that. any more info on that gun? what did he get?
Savage 10 FCM left handed chambered in 7.62x39. When I talked to them about the 10 FCM they told me they would chamber/barrel it in any cartridge I wanted for $288 + the MSRP of the rifle. You have to order a custom rifle through a dealer. You talk to Savage first and they will take your info and record it by your name. The FLL then calls and orders the rifle via your name. The FLL get the rifle at his price + the custom fee so if the dealer is decent, they will discount it off MSRP.
Michael
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

thanks, that's great info RD. I sat on hold with savage for a few minutes today but had to get back to work.
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

leaning more towards rebarreling a stock rifle now, not so keen on waiting for a year or more for the Shaw to be built. my dealer shot me a price of $698 for a new 116 FLHSS that I would rebarrel. I still plan to get ahold of the Savage custom shop to see if they would build me a 114 classic stainless in LH and .264WM, and I really want to do this in a 26" barrel.
Last edited by 44WCF on 24 Jan 2014 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That is a long time to wait i wouldnt want to wait that long I think you made the right choice
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Economic reality dictates that the profit margin has got to be greater per gun for the small custom builders.
I want my gun dollars to go into the gun not into pocket lining.
For instance look at the prices of Turnbull custom leverguns compared to Rossi rifles and even the higher end Miroku Winchesters and Italian clones......that's why I don't own a Turnbull.
One thing I'll say in favour of the custom shop is that the customer is usually always right..........they can't afford to have mostly smug, mostly liberal, mostly anti-gun & all very meddling *lawyers sticking their noses into the design room.........when the customer says no unnecessary, redundant safety-crap he mean NO unnecessary, redundant safety-crap on the gun.
Nothing against the "little guys" in the gun making business but it is what it is. :mrgreen:

*called on the carpet by a client last year when a company lawyer told the CEO I was ignoring accepted industry safety protocols in my submitted design. I told the CEO that if he wanted to make the product at an 18 cent on the dollar LOSS follow the lawyers suggestions and if he wanted to make a profit follow mine. The lawyer was conspicuous by his absence at the next meeting. You can build a fence around any mechanical mechanism to make it safer but if you're in business to make a profit that is not feasible. The word LOSS is always a waker-upper for CEOs in the manufacturing business. They don't like to explain that much maligned word to the board of directors.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:*called on the carpet by a client last year when a company lawyer told the CEO I was ignoring accepted industry safety protocols in my submitted design. I told the CEO that if he wanted to make the product at an 18 cent on the dollar LOSS follow the lawyers suggestions and if he wanted to make a profit follow mine. The lawyer was conspicuous by his absence at the next meeting. You can build a fence around any mechanical mechanism to make it safer but if you're in business to make a profit that is not feasible. The word LOSS is always a waker-upper for CEOs in the manufacturing business. They don't like to explain that much maligned word to the board of directors.
Good for you! And the company in reality!
Michael
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

i got ahold of the Savage Custom shop this morning as soon as they opened, the answer, they can't do .264Win mag, don't have the tooling for it. in three weeks starts a majorly heavy schedule of gun shows in my area, 6 shows in 5 weeks within an hours drive, that never happens here. waiting for the wife's W2 to show up maybe tomarrow, so should have the funds on hand by the time those shows start. i'll be scouring the shows for a suitable rifle to be my base and brass, managed to find some brass at a show a few weeks ago.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Too bad cause you can't go wrong with a Savage......they stretch the gun buying dollar to just about its elastic limit in the accuracy & quality direction. :mrgreen:

Remember saying those exact words at deer camp a few years ago & a Sako guy (they think they're the elite cause their guns cost $2000) replied "yah, not bad for a junk gun".
For an hour thereafter the volume rose to 85 decibels as Remington & Ruger guys chimed in & for a while you could have lit a cigarette off of a few foreheads but fortunately no shiners just a coupla bruised egos. :D

Don't recall ever pulling a dud NIB rifle out of a Savage box.......I own 3 at present and have bought and sold a coupla dozen over the years.....had to have owned at least 4 model 99s.......somebody makes the right offer and away they go........not hard to sell a used Savage.

I'm meticulous in the way I care for my guns & a gun I've owned is probably better (polished smooth & slick) than a new one. For guns beauty is not just skin deep.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Savage is the best deal goin so far. I agree 100%
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

it will almost certainly be a Savage, that stretching a dollar thing. I don't mind the Savage Axis either, nice little gun really, too bad it's not offered in magnum calibers (at least not yet) or it might the basis for this build. nice thing about the Savage is I should be able to manage the barrel replacement myself with only minimal investment, and if the big, bad, fire breathing, barrel burnin' .264 lives up it's rep (doubtful for the way I would use it) I can just slap another barrel on it, or change calibers if the mood strikes me.