thinking of ordering a semi-custom rifle

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
44WCF

thinking of ordering a semi-custom rifle

Post by 44WCF »

here's why, for a long time I have been fond of the .264 Win mag, I also happen to be left handed. I can't find that anyone ever built left handed .264WM's, atleast not at a reasonable price point, the Winchester custom shop offered them in the early 2000's but I think the price was around $3000, no sale for me, and not sure if any were ever built.

if you go to the Shaw website to can spec a gun with several standard options and they will email you a quote. http://ershawbarrels.com/
they use a Savage action (M70 would be preferred, but I'm fine with the savage), Boyd's stocks, blind magazine, and their own barrels installed without the Savage barrel nut system. I spec'd a gun in LH action, .264WM, walnut stock, 26" straight fluted barrel, all in satin stainless. the quote was just over $1000, current estimates are at about a year to get your rifle. all reviews I can find are positive, all seem to from magazines, can't find any customer reviews. has anyone here seen, handled, or shot one? what are your thoughts on my situation? feel free to share.

my other option would be to buy a LH gun in another belted mag caliber and rebarrel it myself, only that I can't seem to make that work out any cheaper than the Shaw. not many lefthanded magnums to be had for cheap project starters. postives would be that I could have my gun sooner, and could possibly have it with a detachable magazine (a plus to me).
44WCF

Re: thinking of ordering a semi-custom rifle

Post by 44WCF »

anyone heard of the E.R. Shaw mark IV before?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I'm not familiar with er shaw biult rifles but I am ahuge fan of their barrels. I would not hesitate to buy that at that price. I would check and ensure they accraglass/ bed the action to the stock though. Unless you do this yourself. Keep us posted sounds like a fun gun what glass you thinging to put on her if you get her?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44WCF wrote:here's why, for a long time I have been fond of the .264 Win mag, I also happen to be left handed. I can't find that anyone ever built left handed .264WM's, atleast not at a reasonable price point, the Winchester custom shop offered them in the early 2000's but I think the price was around $3000, no sale for me, and not sure if any were ever built.

if you go to the Shaw website to can spec a gun with several standard options and they will email you a quote. http://ershawbarrels.com/
they use a Savage action (M70 would be preferred, but I'm fine with the savage), Boyd's stocks, blind magazine, and their own barrels installed without the Savage barrel nut system. I spec'd a gun in LH action, .264WM, walnut stock, 26" straight fluted barrel, all in satin stainless. the quote was just over $1000, current estimates are at about a year to get your rifle. all reviews I can find are positive, all seem to from magazines, can't find any customer reviews. has anyone here seen, handled, or shot one? what are your thoughts on my situation? feel free to share.

my other option would be to buy a LH gun in another belted mag caliber and rebarrel it myself, only that I can't seem to make that work out any cheaper than the Shaw. not many lefthanded magnums to be had for cheap project starters. postives would be that I could have my gun sooner, and could possibly have it with a detachable magazine (a plus to me).
Owned a 264 Win Mag many sleeps ago.............think it was a Ruger M77.
Had a 4-12 power first generation Redfield scope on it.
During its relatively brief lifetime it was a great timber clear cut gun.
The gun had enough juice for elk & moose and would reach out there really far to deliver the love-tap to yotes & wolves.
Unfortunately the barrel shot out really quick and on inspection you could see the throat erosion.....groups expanded to patterns and I dumped the gun.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Pricedo,

Is that kind of barrel and throat wear inherent with that cartridge?
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

akuser47 wrote:I'm not familiar with er shaw biult rifles but I am ahuge fan of their barrels. I would not hesitate to buy that at that price. I would check and ensure they accraglass/ bed the action to the stock though. Unless you do this yourself. Keep us posted sounds like a fun gun what glass you thinging to put on her if you get her?
thanks for the input on the barrels AK. I don't know about the bedding but I wouldn't be afraid to take that job on myself if I though it needed it. I have a Nikon 4-12 I just put on another rifle last year that I like so far, i'll probably move it over to the new rifle.

I know the .264Win has a reputation as a barrel burner, but most accounts say that modern barrels should last 2000 rounds with proper care, that will last me a good long time.
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

Rooster59 wrote:Pricedo,

it's not inherent this catridge, it's inherent to all "overbore cartridges" and large amounts of slow burning powder.
Last edited by 44WCF on 10 Jan 2014 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44WCF wrote:
Rooster59 wrote:Pricedo,

it's not inherent this catridge, it's inherent to "overbore cartridges" and large amounts of slow burning powder.
The 264 Win Mag was introduced with two winners, the 338 Win Mag & 458 Win Mag back in 1959 but didn't fare as well as it's siblings did perhaps because of the barrel erosion rep that it acquired whether true or false.

I'm not clairvoyant and can only go by what my 5 senses tell me and I know a shot out barrel when I see one and it seemed that way back then because I still own rifles I bought prior to the M77/264 Mag and they are as accurate as the day I bought them.

Perhaps barrel metallurgy has improved since then.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would also contact Savage's custom gun shop directly to see what they could do. I know a lefty that did just that to have a rifle built to his spec. It cost about the same but he was shooting it in six weeks.
Michael
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

Ranch Dog wrote:I would also contact Savage's custom gun shop directly to see what they could do. I know a lefty that did just that to have a rifle built to his spec. It cost about the same but he was shooting it in six weeks.
this is good to know, I may do that. any more info on that gun? what did he get?

thanks for the input RD and Pricedo.