R92 Chamber Mouth

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

R92 Chamber Mouth

Post by Ranch Dog »

This topic was split out of the "Thumbs up for the Gunslinger Spring Kit!" topic with this question asked.[hr][/hr]
mr surveyor wrote:On a side note, but still very relevant, do all the R92s have relief cuts in the barrel chamber for the ejector "wings" to seat into? From the few pictures I've seen with enough light in that area I see none quite like mine.
Yes, they all have them. Have you posted a picture of yours?
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: R92 Chamber Mouth

Post by donhuff »

JD, a softer spring will make that work much easier, but to help with the hanging up when loading. File, then Sand with fine paper, then polish with a buffing wheel and compound stick, the front of those wings where they contact the case. That will make the whole cycle work smoother.

UH, some of mine DON'T have those notches. I don't understand why they are there on the ones that do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

yep .... that's the "notches". I can only guess what they may be there .... possibly to prevent peening of the barrel throat by an excessively heavy extractor spring or maybe in the event of powder or other foreign particulates fouling the extractor movement. Looks to me like a "stuck/stiff extractor" would do the same damage to the chamber throat as the firing pin does to one when dry firing (most) .22 cal firearms.

Should one be able to get a finger tip on the extractor with the bolt partially open and feel any spring compression when applying finger pressure. I can reach the tip of my pinkie to the tip of the extractor and close the bolt to the point of nearly chambering my finger, and I feel absolutely NO spring compression.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Seems like if the fingers would mess up one caliber, it would do it to all calibers. ?no idea why some do have them, and some don't???

Finger pressure...HA. I use a screwdriver and both hands with the but stock on the floor. I have gotten one to move, but it aint easy. Put the gunslinger spring in there and you can do it with your pinky.
Next time you have it apart, assemble the bolt lever with the ejector and spring installed. Work it to full open and close and you can see that the "ramps" on the lever increase the power of the ejector spring right at full open. The only place it's really needed. My cut stock springs have almost NO pressure with the bolt less than full open. As does the one that came in the 454 (which looked to have been a cut stock spring). While the gunslinger does have some pressure, it's not all that much.

In the pic is 454 on top then 44 mag (which has those cut in the chamber you spoke about) and bottom is 357.
Looks like they just ground off those wings and did away with the cuts (?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
44WCF

Re: Thumbs up for the Gunslinger Spring Kit!

Post by 44WCF »

mr surveyor wrote:yep .... that's the "notches". I can only guess what they may be there .... possibly to prevent peening of the barrel throat by an excessively heavy extractor spring or maybe in the event of powder or other foreign particulates fouling the extractor movement. Looks to me like a "stuck/stiff extractor" would do the same damage to the chamber throat as the firing pin does to one when dry firing (most) .22 cal firearms.

Should one be able to get a finger tip on the extractor with the bolt partially open and feel any spring compression when applying finger pressure. I can reach the tip of my pinkie to the tip of the extractor and close the bolt to the point of nearly chambering my finger, and I feel absolutely NO spring compression.

JD
I think your confusing the terms "extractor" and "ejector" Mr. Surveyor.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thumbs up for the Gunslinger Spring Kit!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just my 44 Mag and 45 Colt are "notched".
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have noticed this as well seems that they sometimes notch the barrel and sometimes the grind off ejector wings. I think it is dependent on there idea of function when they are assembled. I am not an expert though. I have now tuned 6 .357 92's and two 44mag92's 2 of the .357 had notches only one of the .44's did and I can verify all but 3 of these rifles are recently imported(within the lastr year). This had me curious but I have decided to try and not get headaches from overthing Rossi issues these days I just try to solve what I can been GTG so far.
Last edited by akuser47 on 01 Jan 2014 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

AMADEO PICS (below):

Great pics donhuff.
I'm sitting in front of my pc monitor with my M92/454 with the action open and the metal finishing & machining looks much rougher in the gun in the pics as it does on my rifle........ ie. the gouge in the "brow" at the top of the receiver and rough edges around the cartridge lifter. I can only assume that it is the same in regards to the internal parts we can't see in the pics.
When I did the strip down/tune-up on my M92/454 the burrs were few and small and the edges of the lifter alot better defined & smoother.

Look at the difference in the quality & smoothness of the machining & metal finishing of my Amadeo 92/454s cartridge lifter & guides compared to the roughness in the same components in the BrazTech rifle pics above. Excuse my pics.... they aren't the greatest........ but the difference is apparent as the nose on an elephants face. No gouging on the edges of the receiver with the Amadeo rifle.

The BrazTech machining looks like it was done by a chimpanzee with a dremel.

C'mon BrazTech let's get with the program ! :evil:
Last edited by pricedo on 31 Dec 2013 23:54, edited 5 times in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

44WCF wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:yep .... that's the "notches". I can only guess what they may be there .... possibly to prevent peening of the barrel throat by an excessively heavy extractor spring or maybe in the event of powder or other foreign particulates fouling the extractor movement. Looks to me like a "stuck/stiff extractor" would do the same damage to the chamber throat as the firing pin does to one when dry firing (most) .22 cal firearms.

JD
I think your confusing the terms "extractor" and "ejector" Mr. Surveyor.

naw.... not confused, just distracted by work while typing. At least I posed the original question with the right term :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I am always mispelling sorry to those this bothers lol I am usaully trying to do two things at once.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!