Continually amazed at my 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
RetiredGuns

Continually amazed at my 92

Post by RetiredGuns »

I don't post much, but wanted to say that I am very happy I picked this gun up a while back. After reading reviews and posts at various sites I though for sure that I'd have to massage and tweak to get it shooting well. The only thing I've done is the SS magazine follower just because I don't like plastic. This gun has been to the range several times and has a t least 400 rds of .38 & 150 rds of .357. It's also accompanied me & Dad on a remote trip to the Bighorn Mountains and was my campfire gun. It has never once failed to fire, cycle or do anything but shoot perfect. I have shot decades old aluminum case ammo through it without a hiccup. Just today I took my Wife to the range and she knocked the heck out of the x ring with both .38s and .357s. Once again flawless. Anyway, just wanted to say that this Rossi is keeper!

Pic from today's range trip..

Steve
USMC RETIRED
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Continually amazed at my 92

Post by akuser47 »

nice guns there and nice rossi glad yours is GTG That pump looks like my granpa's ol winchester pump it had a 26" barrel but not octy like that. Is that a winchester pump rimfire?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the report Steve, nice looking guns!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

RetiredGuns wrote:I don't post much, but wanted to say that I am very happy I picked this gun up a while back. After reading reviews and posts at various sites I though for sure that I'd have to massage and tweak to get it shooting well. The only thing I've done is the SS magazine follower just because I don't like plastic. This gun has been to the range several times and has a t least 400 rds of .38 & 150 rds of .357. It's also accompanied me & Dad on a remote trip to the Bighorn Mountains and was my campfire gun. It has never once failed to fire, cycle or do anything but shoot perfect. I have shot decades old aluminum case ammo through it without a hiccup. Just today I took my Wife to the range and she knocked the heck out of the x ring with both .38s and .357s. Once again flawless. Anyway, just wanted to say that this Rossi is keeper!

Pic from today's range trip..

Glad to see your Rossi is a winner just like the 3 I own.

Likewise, I've had no problems with my 3 Amadeo Rossi pre-safety, pre-BrazTech Rossi M92s (357 Mag trapper, 44 Mag trapper, 454 Casull carbine).
The 357 Mag trapper was a little rough cycling during the pre-purchase inspection so when I got it home I disassembled it and found a lot of crud (cosmoline, rust, dirt, machining cuttings) in the receiver & magazine tube. I then stripped the gun down to basic parts & scrubbed the parts down with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner and with the assistance of an adjustable jewelers viewing glass/work station (no hands required to hold the glass in place over the work), small jewelers files, emery paper, small 3-sided file I removed & polished smooth all the rough spots in the metal (burrs) without getting too aggressive in regards to metal removal (be a "metal miser"). I also trimmed and clipped some of the springs made reference to in the Steve's Gunz DVD. I then reassembled the gun (with the assistance of Steve's Gunz excellent DVD the first time round) and gave all the parts a judicious (not too much) oiling with a very high quality temperature insensitive (doesn't get viscous in the cold) machine oil.
Once the gun was back together I dry cycled the action (decocking the hammer each time) over 500 times & the rest is history.
I followed the same Rossi Regimen with the other 2 Rossi 92s I bought & as they say the rest is history. All 3 92 clones are as smooth as glass, dependable & accurate.
I have applied Tru-Oil finishes directly over the Rossi factory finish and the rifles look great.
The factory finish on my 3 Amadeo Rossis wasn't the greatest but it certainly didn't wash off in the rain like some of the NIB BrazTech R92s discussed on this board.
I have a hard time rationalizing that the BrazTech R92s discussed in the posts on this board in regards to mechanical problems are the same brand as my 3 Amadeo Rossi M92s.
I don't think the Amadeo >> Taurus/BrazTech transition was good for the quality of the 92 clones being produced at the Brazilian factory. Seems that a lot of overhead is now being wasted installing redundant Taurus safety infrastructure (bolt safety & hammer lock) that would be better spent on a proper fit & finish (m/m, w/m), quality control and a decent factory stock finish that doesn't wash off in the rain. :mrgreen:
Last edited by pricedo on 31 Dec 2013 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
RetiredGuns

Post by RetiredGuns »

akuser47 wrote:nice guns there and nice rossi glad yours is GTG That pump looks like my granpa's ol winchester pump it had a 26" barrel but not octy like that. Is that a winchester pump rimfire?
Thanks for the nice comments all.

Yep, Winchester 90-22 short. Dates about April 1926. It's been in the family for a good while. Many of these guns were used in carnivals for folks to plink a target and win a prize. Hard to imagine these days.
Steve
USMC RETIRED
RetiredGuns

Post by RetiredGuns »

pricedo wrote:Seems that a lot of overhead is now being wasted installing redundant Taurus safety infrastructure (bolt safety & hammer lock) that would be better spent on a proper fit & finish (m/m, w/m), quality control and a decent factory stock finish that doesn't wash off in the rain. :mrgreen:
The first thing I did was sand down the shoe polish finish and apply 5-6 coats of tru-oil. What a difference!
Steve
USMC RETIRED
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Like you I'm continually amazed at my 3 92s.

I'm glad that our Rossi 92s are giving us good service.

And while we're on the topic of service I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for your service to your (our) country in the USMC. :)
Last edited by pricedo on 31 Dec 2013 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Thats what I thought the 90. One of the so called gallery winchesters thank you sir for the update I always loved those rifles and will acqiuere one again somday.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:Thats what I thought the 90. One of the so called gallery winchesters thank you sir for the update I always loved those rifles and will acqiuere one again somday.
Had one of those back at the old homestead........don't know where it got to.........as I recall very slick & accurate gun.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
RetiredGuns

Post by RetiredGuns »

There were a couple guys shooting an AR15 next to us and we literally couldn't tell if the Winchester was firing! My Wife said, "Did it shoot?" No recoil & just a snap. Brought back memories of Grandpa & I shooting walnuts off fence posts.
Steve
USMC RETIRED