longer screw

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
3sharps

longer screw

Post by 3sharps »

I am putting a tang sight on my 92. The holes lined up perfectly. When I got deeper into the project, I discovered that the tang screw is too short to go through the sight stock and screw into the lower tang. Where can I get a longer screw? :?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: longer screw

Post by akuser47 »

If you can verify the thread pitch you could probably order them. I'm sure if you contact them the sight manufacturer they can tell you what you need or may even sell what is needed. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
silvertip

Post by silvertip »

The R92 rifle that I bought was manufactured in 2013 and came with a extra screw that was longer specifically for the tang sight. Might be worth a call to Braztech. They may have these longer screws in stock.
ruddy

Post by ruddy »

A .44 Mag Rossi Puma I had back in the mid '90s had a tang screw that was long enough to install a Lyman #2 tang sight. The R92 in .357 I just bought doesn't, so I'm in the same boat.

Fortunately, I have a metric tap & die set that I could use to determine the thread size. The current screw is a 5mm x 80 thread. The longer screw that Lyman provides with the sight is 1 5/8" or 40mm long (not including the head). Lowes has a pretty good selection of metric screws, so I'll stop by on my way home from work tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make out.
Edster

Post by Edster »

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... 31771.aspx

According to Marble's page the part number for the screw set is 995002.

http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang_info.html
Last edited by Edster on 12 Jan 2014 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

That's what she said. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Chris Hunter
Rossi 92 357 24inch octagon case hardened.
ruddy

Post by ruddy »

I checked Lowes, Home Depot and Big R. Finding 5x80mm screws is easy. Finding ones with the proper head that are 40mm long is extremely difficult. An associate at Home Depot told me about a store that specializes in fasteners, and I'll check there tomorrow.
ruddy

Post by ruddy »

Still no luck. Stores just don't seem to carry the type of screw we need that's long enough. Given the situation, I've been considering a couple of options.

The Lyman No 2 Tang sight I have is for a Winchester M94 and comes with a long tang screw and a shorter screw for mounting the front of the sight. Neither my old Rossi Puma or My Browning B92 required the longer tang screw, so installation required drilling and tapping one hole. This rifle, however, does need a longer tang screw. The Winchester tang screw requires a larger threaded hole than the 5mmx80 on the Rossi.

So I could either turn off the threads on the screw and rethread it, which would be tricky for me at home, even though I have the Metric taps and dies, or I could drill out the hole in the Rossi's lower tang and tap it to accept the included Lyman screw. Since I have a tap & drill set from Brownells, you can guess which option I'm going to choose.

In addition, the new screw is a bit thicker and is a snugger fit in the hole. I figure this will be more secure.
ruddy

Post by ruddy »

Success! I was able to find a flat head 5mmx80 screw long enough at a company in town that specials in fasteners and who serves contractors. I had to settle for one that was a bit longer than necessary (50mm) and in zinc color, but the best part was when I asked how much he wanted for that screw and a matching one 10mm long, he gave them to me as samples. Free is always good. They have Phillips heads, and I'll have to chuck them in a drill to round the edges of the heads a bit to better fit the sight after shortening the one screw, but they'll work.

I gave it one more try when I realized I'd have to buy a 12-28 tap and a #14 drill to use the Lyman screw. The free screws I got sure beat that!
3sharps

Post by 3sharps »

I found a 5mm screw at the local ACE hardware store. It was a bit longer so I cut the excess off with a hack saw. The head needs to be blued but that is an easy fix. :D