Side sling on a '92 - Part 3

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
outsidebear

Side sling on a '92 - Part 3

Post by outsidebear »

Today completed the finishing touches on a Rossi '92 .44 magnum 20" carbine, having installed side sling swivels and refinishing the wood stocks. With the side sling type of setup I prefer, this shows that with the sling removed, there's really nothing to get in your way with the side sling swivel bases. Yet they provide for installing a sling quickly when wanting to. As I mentioned in Part 1, I carry the rifle over my left shoulder with the barrel pointing down. Carried in the field this way, with your left elbow held slightly to the rear locks the carbine into place, not letting it flop/move around. Most of the time I hold the tip of the forearm with my left hand. With the usual way of installing sling swivel bases on the bottom of the butt stock (a few inches in front of the toe of the butt stock) and on the bottom of the forearm/or a magazine clamp-on base, this lets the carbine/rifle flop around side-to-side when walking or engaged in strenuous activity. Whereas with a side sling setup, slung over the left shoulder and barrel down, it stays in place. If you've ever carried in the field a military M1 carbine, you'll understand clearly what I'm talking about.

Sanded the wood, then applied TransTint wood stain, a concentrated dye solution, Dark Mission Brown #6006, with which you can use either water or denatured alcohol to mix the stain with. Applied 5 coats of TruOil, rubbing with steal wool between dried coats. The Trapper .357 will be receiving this same wood refinishing - I prefer the darker wood, compared to the kinda reddish Rossi factory finish.

If any questions will be glad to share further, k'.
outsidebear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Side sling on a '92 - Part 3

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice! Any chance of posting that first picture with the sling attached? I would like to capture it for the forum header!
Michael
outsidebear

Post by outsidebear »

I shall attend to that this afternoon, k'...
4kdave

Post by 4kdave »

Now you show me the side mount after putting on the crummy front swivel on the mag. tube. Oh well, I learned something today and guess that is why I got out of bed this AM.
silverback13

Post by silverback13 »

I have read thorough all your post regarding this mount system and all I can say is there is no down side.
You have solved my sling issues for my rossi and marlin 39d. thanks for the tip.
Finally Ranch Dog Big Fat Bullet Group Buy!
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2633
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Good job.......that stock looks fantastic. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

great work looks like the tree grew it there
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!