Side sling on a '92 - Part 2

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
outsidebear

Side sling on a '92 - Part 2

Post by outsidebear »

Rossi Trapper 16.2" barrel, .357 magnum - for 'woods loafing'...

Here's another way to side sling a '92. This method is similar to my other posting using surplus military butt swivels, but less work.

I used Winchester Super Grade sling swivel bases (not really Winchester made, but aftermarket, available if you search the net), which require inletting into the wood. Yes, it does require some cutting and reshaping for the forearm swivel base that goes under the forearm barrel band. These swivel bases are 3/8" wide, therefore a 3/8" diameter Forstner drill bit works (though will need to drill accordingly for the depth needed). If you drill a bit too deep, then use shim(s) to raise the swivel base up the desired amount to make it level with the surface of the wood. If you look close you will see where I used a shim in the butt stock. Pictures were taken with the sling swivel bases in the white, they show up clearer. After taking pictures I cold blued them.

Tools needed: a 3/8" Forstner drill bit; a few small files; proper size drill bit for wood screw threaded shaft; hacksaw; and some cold blue. I had access to a milling machine, which to me is a really fancy drill press (due to my lack of technical skills!). You could use a good drill press, just take it slow and careful.

Sling swivels are Uncle Mike's 1", No. 1400-2, which keep things close n' compact.

For those who might have an interest with a side sling swivel setup, hope this lends a hand at one way to go about mounting them. Enjoy.
outsidebear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Side sling on a '92 - Part 2

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice work and pictures! What receiver sight did you use on this rifle?
Michael
outsidebear

Re: Side sling on a '92 - Part 2

Post by outsidebear »

Thank you for the comments. Doing the install of the side mount sling swivel bases isn't a difficult project, just takes a going slow n' being careful. Having access to a milling machine was a big help.

The receiver sight is by Williams. It was on the Trapper when I acquired it. I'll most likely remove it later on and go with either a Steve's Guns or a Skinner type of peep sight, seeing as how I prefer to not have the bulk of the receiver sight protruding out on the left side of the action. With the carbine slung over my left shoulder and laying flat on the left side of my back, not wanting to have anything that will be sticking out from the action and rub against my back. Not a major issue, but may remove it later after some field time with this Trapper.

Also, there is a high bead front sight, and a bead is not a preferred front sight with me, preferring one of the old Redfield Sourdough Partridge front sights - will have to see how they will work in a Rossi dovetail, just haven't gotten around to that just yet.

Many folks don't prefer a sling on a carbine, but a sling can come in handy when in the field, be it hunting, hiking or woods loafing. This is merely another way to add a sling, but a way that I have come to prefer. I've 8 long guns with this type of side sling setup!! A Rossi Trapper in .45 Colt is in my future and it will receive the same side sling setup. Not trying to sound like broken record here, but until someone uses this type of side sling setup in the field, they're not likely to appreciate how well it works.