having to hit lever forward to feed round

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
jalex1941

having to hit lever forward to feed round

Post by jalex1941 »

Hey guys, hope everyone had a Merry Christmas or holiday. I just shimmed my 92 and that's seems to have fixed the problem with my bullets jumping out when im working the lever quickly but now ive noticed that unless I ram the lever forward really hard that it wont lift the bullet high enough to enter the chamber. Does anyone know what I can do to smooth this out ?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: having to hit lever forward to feed round

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hope you have had a Merry Christmas as well!

I would start with a visual inspection of the Carrier (39) to see if anything is caught in it. The 92 carrier is a bit different than some of the other lever guns in that there is only two positions of the carrier; up and down. It is held in place in both positions with slots that are machined into the sides of the receiver and the Carrier Stop (40) which has a Spring (41) behind it. The stop and spring is held in place inside the carrier with a Pin (42).

Many of the issues we have seen here relate to the surface of the receiver wall between the two slots or the slots themselves. If there is any roughness, burrs to the surface or edges of the slot, it might interfere with carrier movement against the stop.

The carrier is held in place by the Carrier Screw (43). The screws are threaded into the receiver but have a shank on the end that the carrier "rides" or "rotates" on. Sometime members have found that there is a bit of play in the carrier where it is pinned in place by these screws (the holes in the carrier are a bit too large for the shanks of the screws). With the force applied by the carrier stop and the spring behind it, the carrier can torque slightly and bind against the receiver. The corrective action in this case has been to shim the carrier with thin a thin washer(s) on the carrier screws rather than mess with the stop or spring.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Have you cycle broke her yet? Just curious as some issues can iron them selves out after cycleing 500 times flush and oil and see again. This lets the parts marry together better. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jalex1941

Post by jalex1941 »

well before ive worked the action a few hundred times, never taken the time to count; so I sat down for about 15 minutes worked the action 1000 times and that's seems to have fixed the problem. There must have just been some rough spots in the receiver. Really appreciate the help guys, cant wait to take this smooth runnin rifle to the range. Also its is feeding 38spl with no problems now.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

jalex1941 wrote:well before ive worked the action a few hundred times, never taken the time to count; so I sat down for about 15 minutes worked the action 1000 times and that's seems to have fixed the problem. There must have just been some rough spots in the receiver. Really appreciate the help guys, cant wait to take this smooth runnin rifle to the range. Also its is feeding 38spl with no problems now.
Good to hear they get better and better just cycleing them I have probly done mine over 1500 times or whenever I am watching a good ol western. and considering how many rounds is through mine she is slick as glass. Thanks for the update
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The forum's byline ought to be....

"That's okay RossiUSA, we've got this one!"
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:The forum's byline ought to be....

+1
The direct involvement of skilled human craftsmen to fit and finish guns and any other products for that matter is the most expensive component of manufacturing overhead cost.
Kit guns are guns that are machined close to spec by CNC machinery and the final fitting & finishing is done by the buyer.
Kit guns can be produced and sold at significant cost reduction compared to a completely finished firearm.
Thus Rossi 92s can be purchased from $400 - $600 a unit while Miroku Winchesters, Italian clones, Turnbull custom guns MSRP for 3 or 4 times that amount or more.
I consider the Rossi-BrazTech 92s kit guns.
The advantages of kit guns are of course reduced up front cost and the wide latitude for individual creativity afforded the buyer in regards to the final fit & finish.
I am very pleased with the way my 3 x Rossi 92s turned out and they have been accurate & dependable to date & look fantastic (beauty being in the eye of the beholder ;) ).
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ranch Dog wrote:The forum's byline ought to be....

I like it +1
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

My 454 would get a round on the carrier and get almost to the full up position and then lock up. If I hit the lever pretty hard forward, double clutched the lever, or worked the lever pretty fast and with authority, it would "usually" cycle. I kept fiddling with it until I determined that the ejector, was the problem. On the 454 the round sits further back on the carrier and gets under the ejector more which made the problem worse. The fix was to sand the two projections on the ejector to get rid of machine marks, and then polish on a buffing wheel with compound until very slick. Worked smooth after that. This allows the case rim to slid up the ejector, while moving forward too.

A weaker ejector spring will also help with this as it will allow the ejector to compress back into the bolt when it hits the case, if it needs to.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

What continues to amaze me is that these are NEW guns we're talking about. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA