rear sight

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
BNSF

rear sight

Post by BNSF »

Has anyone tried to change the outside shape of the rear sight on a 92. It is big and covers a lot of the intended target. Thank you
mod 85

"
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: rear sight

Post by donhuff »

I grind off the top half of the rear sight so that it is flat across, with a shallow notch in it. Then I take that silly brass bead out of the front sight, and file it flat on top and square the sides, then spray on some flat black grill paint. This makes for a much sharper sight picture.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
BNSF

Post by BNSF »

Thank you, I have two 92's, 24" oct. Didn't like the sights on either of them, wasted a lot of money on a ghost ring sight, and a new front sight, for one of them, they just don't look right on a lever gun. I was thinking about a peep sight,,, more money,,, I like your idea. Do you take the sight off of the gun or use a small hand grinder? A black sharpy would fix the surface of the rear sight.
mod 85

"
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I take it off. I'm not very steady handed and don't trust myself.

I use a bench grinder and just hold it in my hands. Keep a bowl of water close by cause it gets hot. I grind it so that the rear top edge is the highest. This gives me a sharper image.
Someone told me I should round the corners so it would not snag on stuff. Aint figured out what it's gonna snag on to yet, so I left it alone. And Don't think that you'll file it down either, that thing is hard as a rock. I use touch up blue to hide the shiny parts after grinding.

While your at it, you can pull that silly little brass bead off of the front sight with a pair of pliers. Wiggle it gently and you might not break the little pin on the back of it in case you want to put it back. I hate that bead as it tends to glow when the sun hits it just right. I like a black ramp front, and black rear notch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by donhuff on 30 Dec 2013 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I did install a Williams 5d in my 92 trapper but you are right, they aren't pretty. It is effective though.

Flattening out the stock rear sight is a good idea. I like the Marble's flat top rear sight with the adjustable diamond insert in it for buckhorn style sights. It is less than $20 from Midwayusa.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Rooster,
Does the elevator on the marbels stay where you put it? I'll have a good group going with the rossi sights, and then one will fly low...then another, and i realize the elevator has slipped AGAIN.

I really like the looks of the marbels #95 except for that tiny elevator screw and lack of indicator marks for elevation. If it had a click adjustable elevation screw, that would be my first choice.Also it would be nice to be able to adjust windage on a rossi with a screwdriver instead of beating on it with a hammer. Makes me feel like a caveman at the shooting range.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I see what you mean with the elevator. It is a problem waiting to happen. Not sure what my rear elevator looks like. It was removed before I fired it the first time.

The #95 is not what I would get unless you need the folding feature. Usually for a scoped rifle or one with a tang sight to augment the rear sight. It is adjustable only with the insert and screw.

I was referring to the #63 or #66 seen in this link. http://www.marblearms.com/rearSights_info.html These models allow for elevator adjustment and fine tuning with the adjustable insert/screw feature.

The double elevators Marbles supplies use V shaped notches so as not to allow "inadvertent adjustment". Yours is a trapper like my 45 Colt 92 so you may want the carbine model #63. You will have to measure your current rear sight height at the proper adjustment point to determine if you need the #63 or the #63H, etc.

Modifying the front sight works but I ordered a front blade from Andy at Skinner Sights. They come tall so you can tailor the height to your rear/front combination. He also offers brass front sights which is what I ordered. They add a bit of bling. I found the brass color wasn't good for me so I touched the top .070" of the rear vertical surface with a sharpy marker to blacken it. You can only see the black section from the driver's seat so the bling aspect is unaffected.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm glad to see that the poorly designed rear sight elevator is recognized as a known issue. On my first range trip back during the Spring with my R92 in .44mag, I immediately had trouble with the elevator's rounded steps. Got home from the range and grabbed a worn out Daisy BB gun out of a cluster of them in the corner and removed the sight elevator from it (very sharp, well defined steps) and installed it on the 92. Problem completely solved. Now, if my poor vision could be corrected all would be well. :D

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

After the first rifle or two I have completely put iron sights out of my mind. Factory supplied sights have proven in almost every instance to be sorely inadequate for my ergonomics that I wish they would leave them off of my rifles and save me a couple bucks. I know what I like for the purpose intended for a specific rifle and they will be installed soon after delivery anyway.

As it is now, I keep a few spare front Skinner blades and dovetail blanks in my parts bin in case rifles come and go. All mine have a peep of some configuration or another. The only rear buckhorn style sights in our gun cabinet belong to my wife. She can't cope with scopes or peep sights so she limits her shots to 100 yards with irons. The Marbles flat top rears have reduced the sight picture variability that came with stock semi-buckhorns.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Only interest in the 95 was the windage screw.

Yes, the 63 66 look like the ones. I guess they make a short and long incase your gun can not accept the 2 3/4 long one before running into the receiver. The rossi one is 2.5" and had almost an inch of barrel behind that, so I think the #66 would be right for me. I'll have to get the calipers and see how tall they are. I guess that measurement is from the barrel to the top of the sight, eh.

I've tried to make the notches in the rossi ramp better but it did not work.

I've looked at that fron from skinner and I don't think he could have found a more ugly one to sell. It has to be made for something else, and it just happen to fit the rossi dovetail. I like the file it to proper height, but the base doesn't even come close to the barrel.

I keep looking for a good base that I can mill the post off of and mill a groove into. Then drill for a roll pin or set screw and use a replaceable blade like http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1457.htm
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70