Any suggestions appreciated

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Any suggestions appreciated

Post by pricedo »

xdsd wrote:Pricedo,

Assuming your explanation applies here (metal fatigue due to shooting too much), what components would you expect to fail? Given my situation where I can't cycle the action, can you think of a scenario where overstressed parts could cause this? I really haven't been shooting hot loads - basically standard target-shooting ammo. Of the 1400 rounds a little more than 1200 were .38, the rest were .357.
Not an explanation Sir........merely conjecture.
I have no idea what you shoot or how often and other than the real Winchester 92s that I know about that became quite loose after being converted to 357 Magnum & other smokeless cartridges & then shot a lot I don't have any real empirical data to base my conjectures on.
It occurred to me that shooting these 92s a lot with heavy loads was outside the usage model that Winchester designed them around.
Theory modelling is based on assumptions that may or may not be born out by observations and measured data derived from experimentation.
Academics call it the "scientific method".
Just putting some ideas out there. +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I totally disagree with Pricedo and feel he is causing you unnecessary worry! These rifle are not Winchester 92s,they are modern firearms made with modern processes and metals for cartridges that meet SAAMI specifications. As long as you shoot within these limits, these rifles will give you a lifetime of service. I don't think for a minute that this "lawyered up" manufacturer would risk their Company if there was any fear of them failing when used inside of these limits.

These rifles where not meant as mantle pieces! They are firearms that are meant to go bang. Even the 454 Casuall, you would go broke trying to feed it to failure.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I agree my 92 I have shot more than 1200 rounds loaded to +P with 158grain XTPs and never and issue granted it is not a 454 but still it is gtg and shoots great. I do agree that the original 1892's I would only shot powder puff loads because of the metals of the days I wouldn't trust. Not these days I would trust my life to my 92 for sure.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If shooting maxed out 2400 loads in my .44 magnum was going to kill it then I think it would be dead by now. She's eaten a lot of 240gr, 255gr, and 270gr bullets so far and since I've taken to powder coating and epoxy coating those have only added to the round count. No, I haven't dialed in a load yet but I keep reloading and trying. My shoulder gives out before that gun will. I had to break down and buy a lame-o pad... :oops:
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Maximumbob54 wrote:If shooting maxed out 2400 loads in my .44 magnum was going to kill it then I think it would be dead by now. She's eaten a lot of 240gr, 255gr, and 270gr bullets so far and since I've taken to powder coating and epoxy coating those have only added to the round count. No, I haven't dialed in a load yet but I keep reloading and trying. My shoulder gives out before that gun will. I had to break down and buy a lame-o pad... :oops:
I know what you mean I never thought I would say it but I want to pad up my step dads 3006 it really put the hurt on me yesterday lol I don't remeber it hitting so hard. lol, I have been to use to pistol caliber rifles.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I totally disagree with Pricedo and feel he is causing you unnecessary worry! These rifle are not Winchester 92s,they are modern firearms made with modern processes and metals for cartridges that meet SAAMI specifications. As long as you shoot within these limits, these rifles will give you a lifetime of service. I don't think for a minute that this "lawyered up" manufacturer would risk their Company if there was any fear of them failing when used inside of these limits.

These rifles where not meant as mantle pieces! They are firearms that are meant to go bang. Even the 454 Casuall, you would go broke trying to feed it to failure.
I certainly hope RD is correct in this but we can't deny that some have been having problems the explanations for which have not been fully resolved, understood & documented at this point in time.
I certainly feel safe shooting my 92s at the 200 - 500 round per year level with about 1 in 4 rounds being maximum loads........so far so good........I'm quite pleased to date with the performance & dependability of my three Rossi 92s........not as much as a single jam or misfire. :D
The full & complete picture will develop in the fullness of time as range & field reports populate this & other boards.
***Don't worry ......but certainly be observant & diligent.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:If shooting maxed out 2400 loads in my .44 magnum was going to kill it then I think it would be dead by now. She's eaten a lot of 240gr, 255gr, and 270gr bullets so far and since I've taken to powder coating and epoxy coating those have only added to the round count. No, I haven't dialed in a load yet but I keep reloading and trying. My shoulder gives out before that gun will. I had to break down and buy a lame-o pad... :oops:
I know what you mean I never thought I would say it but I want to pad up my step dads 3006 it really put the hurt on me yesterday lol I don't remeber it hitting so hard. lol, I have been to use to pistol caliber rifles.
+1
There is nothing commendable or macho about continuing to shoot a gun that hurts you and once a psychological flinch sets in it's hard to get rid of.
If you need to pad it up or port it up to make shooting the gun comfortable so be it.
Shooting is supposed to be fun.......that's why we do it. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
xdsd

Post by xdsd »

OK, here's where we're at. Got home this afternoon, popped the mag cap and five rounds poured out. So far so good. Still can't cycle the action. Removed stock, punched out bolt pin, removed hammer and lower tang. Still can't cycle. The bolt seems to be wedged in place - I can't straighten out the lever enough to pull down and remove the locking bolts (even took out the locking bolt pin stop screw).

The position of the bolt ranges from fully closed, with the locking bolts in their normal position sticking up slightly above the bolt; to the maximum "open" position, where the front of the bolt is maybe 1/8" from the top of the receiver, and the locking bolts are hanging down about 1/2". I'm wondering if the ejector could have broken off and gotten wedged in there someplace. I've stripped this thing down a few times, and I know how easily it comes apart - and this ain't it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm scratching my head!!!
Michael
xdsd

Post by xdsd »

I'm thinking the next step might be to remove the mag tube and fore end. Maybe I would be able to see enough inside the chamber to figure out what's up. Haven't done that before, so I don't know how much access that would give me, but right now I can't think of anything else.