Dental Floss Tames The GunSlinger!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Dental Floss Tames The GunSlinger!

Post by donhuff »

Dang RD, it doesn't sound like hunting if it only takes 30 minutes. Do you have em fenced in out there?

Sounds like the spring kit is something you should have done a long time ago. I had been cutting and trimming the stock springs, but after using the first gunslinger kit, I don't waste my time with them anymore. The kit makes it so much easier.

No problems with keeping it together. Course, you still have to use a dummy round clipped under the extractor. I have made up some extra long dummies just for this purpose. Makes pulling the bolt back, less of a touchey process.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

akuser47 wrote:Don if you actaully could make these at a cost effiecient way you could make some cash get a patent last I checked 125.00 for general 2 years patent rights more for longer patent rights.it could benefit you by far. been over 12 years since I last helped a friend set his patent though.

I don't know AK, I just don't think there are THAT many that would be willing to buy it. How many Rossi 92 owners are out there, and of them probably only 10-20% at best will ever put a spring kit in there guns. And for most of those it would be a one time thing that they will never do again, so why buy a tool to make it easier. I doubt there are that many owners out there that "routinely" take the thing that far apart. But the thing to do would be for whoever makes up the spring kits to include one in every kit. That way more folks might buy a second kit. I know after installing my first one, I shopped around a little to see what else was out there cause that one spring made the whole kit LESS appealing to me. To include it in the kit would make the price have to be really low and there goes the money!
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

donhuff wrote:Dang RD, it doesn't sound like hunting if it only takes 30 minutes. Do you have em fenced in out there?
:D No, just the way it worked out. We had a real high wind with a frontal passage and that wind kept up for about 18 hours. Our deer hate a cold wind and will lay in their beds and go hungry until the wind lays. I went out and shot in the wind as I felt it was about over. When I finished it went calm like a switch had been flipped off. Deer started to pop up immediately.
donhuff wrote:Sounds like the spring kit is something you should have done a long time ago. I had been cutting and trimming the stock springs, but after using the first gunslinger kit, I don't waste my time with them anymore. The kit makes it so much easier.
The point about bending them to adjust the tension is real easy to do. I actually put all five in a vise and uniformed them with a metal straight edge. The trick was getting them all in that vice at once! The "short" ends where in the vice, the long ends against the straight edge.

Here are what my factory springs produced:
  • 357 Mag ~ 4 3/4#
  • 44 Mag ~ 3 1/2#
  • 45 Colt ~ 5 1/2#
  • 454 Casull ~ 4 1/4#
  • 480 Ruger ~ 3 1/4#
I would call that all over the map. In that Rossi manufactures everything, parts are not outsourced, it is really strange that they cannot control their materials and manufacturing any closer.
donhuff wrote:No problems with keeping it together. Course, you still have to use a dummy round clipped under the extractor. I have made up some extra long dummies just for this purpose. Makes pulling the bolt back, less of a touchey process.
Okay. I leave the spring compressed under the dental floss for this and then remove it.
donhuff wrote:
akuser47 wrote:Don if you actaully could make these at a cost effiecient way you could make some cash get a patent last I checked 125.00 for general 2 years patent rights more for longer patent rights.it could benefit you by far. been over 12 years since I last helped a friend set his patent though.
I don't know AK, I just don't think there are THAT many that would be willing to buy it. How many Rossi 92 owners are out there, and of them probably only 10-20% at best will ever put a spring kit in there guns.
Shoot, I bet 10-20% of the owners ever break their R92 down.

Got to get the rest of my pictures posted in the opening post but need some time to do that.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Your probably right I just got so excited when I saw your creation.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

AK,

I wish you were right, but I just don't think so. If I knew somebody in the injection molding business, I'd talk to them about it and see what they thought. But a couple of web sites I looked at wanted $1000-$1500 to get started on it. I don't think that you could sell enough @ $2 apiece to pay that back, much less $0.50.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I was research synthetic stocks for the R92 and found an post on a forum from a couple of years ago where a fellow had communicated with RamLine concerning the stocks. RamLine stated that they would need to sell 3,000 the first two years after introduction to make the production of them feasible.

Lee Precision experienced an accident that busted the Micro Disk mold. This is the very small disk used for small pistol charging not the Micro Adjustable Charge Bar. Anyway, the Micro Disk had been around for as long as I can remember and Mr. Lee told me a replacement mold would cost more than the total lifetime sales of the last mold so the product was dropped.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Shoot, I bet 10-20% of the owners ever break their R92 down.
We Rossi Rifleman love to tinker and take things apart but unfortunately we represent a minority of shooter/hunters in that regard.

Or the converse way of saying the same thing is that 80-90% of prospective levergun purchasers are looking for an economical, dependable hunting rifle that there is no need to break down and a coupla boxes of store bought factory "shells" to go shooting or hunting involving none of the quality control, fixer-upper BS issues a lot of BrazTech R92 owners are now experiencing. They generally don't care if the gun can group 5 shots in a cluster @ 100 yards as long as after the smoke clears a dead deer is laying on the ground .......most of the time.

How many of us would keep a new off the lot car if they had to rebuild the engine after less than 50 miles on the odometer????..........it would be going back in a jiffy and we'd never purchase that make of vehicle again......especially if the manufacturer refused to sell the affected car owner parts to fix what should have been working when it arrived on the car dealers lot from the factory. This is exactly how untenable BrazTechs situation is in regards to their products.

If customers buy a Rossi and it's a lemon they will simply dump it on the "used" racks ASAP and go with a generic brand and never buy another Rossi. These people want to shoot & hunt not be aggravated into a heart attack by a perpetually disfuntional firearm.

Most gun buyers are 1-3 gun (1 center fire rifle, 1 shotgun, 1 22 LR bolt or levergun) gun owners and are either new shooters/hunters or hunters looking for a replacement for an ancient old 94/30-30 or SMLE/303 that like their aging eyes don't work so well any more that have neither the time, skills, tools or inclination to tinker with their guns like many members on this board do. They want to spend their leisure time at the range or in their tree stands & ground blinds not bent over a work bench trying to make a "sows ear" BrazTech 92 into a "silk purse" hunting firearm.

To tell you the truth if there was a house fire and my guns were destroyed and I was looking for a dependable, economical levergun to hunt big game with I'd go with a brand new, "post learning curve" Marlin 1895GS "Guide Gun" in 45-70 GVT and a few boxes of the HSM "bear load" ammo. The only modification I'd make would be the installation of a Happy Trigger (about a 2.5-3# pull) from Wild West Guns. The newer Marlins I've inspected on racks are as good as the JMs with well fitted walnut stocks with attractive element resistant finishes, crisp checkering, deep lustrous bluing and very precise, high quality parts machining and metal finishing that would make the mystery wood stocked BrazTech 92s which cost about the same look amateurish & "junky" in comparison. My second choice would be a straight stocked Mossberg 464 in 30-30 Winchester which is about 100-$150 cheaper than a Rio Grande. I've handled a coupla these 464s and they are fine rifles for the money.

The newer Marlin or Mossberg leverguns don't have anywhere near the frequency of NIB issues that the BrazTech firearms do and for most prospective buyers looking for an economical dependable hunting levergun the choice is a "no brainer" considering they are the same price or less than a BrazTech Rossi.

The < $500 "plastic" rifle/scope combos in bubble-packages marketed by Mossberg, Weatherby, Savage, Ruger that can cut 3-shot MOA groups all day long are staking out a lot of market share among occassional shooters & meat hunters looking for a dependable hunting rifle that doesn't cost a fortune. It's a tough, competitive market place out there with not a lot of spare cash in American pockets to buy guns.

I think BrazTech had a golden opportunity to grab some market share while Marlin was on the learning curve and BLEW IT by shipping an inferior product.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Yikes!!! I'm not much of a traditionalist, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Could they make it any uglier?????? http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles- ... -spx/41026

but I know, they are targeting a different market.

Is it made after a win 94? I don't know much about lever guns. It looks like a 92 with a long reciever, actually looks pretty good.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
dos0711

Post by dos0711 »

Just ordered another spring kit for my Ranch Hand +guns
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

donhuff wrote:Yikes!!! I'm not much of a traditionalist, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Could they make it any uglier?????? http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles- ... -spx/41026

but I know, they are targeting a different market.

Is it made after a win 94? I don't know much about lever guns. It looks like a 92 with a long reciever, actually looks pretty good.
+1
I kinda scratch my head when I look at the Mossberg 464-SPX :shock: but the conventional 464 looks alot like a standard post 64 Wincheter 94. I've closely checked & examined examples off the rack that were going for considerably less than $400 and they were consistently of pretty decent quality. I didn't find any defects in the guns I checked.
The actions were smooth & the triggers though a little heavy (I'd guess about 4-5 pounds) weren't gritty as I expected and broke clean......a good hunting trigger.
If I was far away from home and had forgotten my usual deer rifle and it was the day before the opening morning of deer season I'd definitely buy one.
My regular dealer says he's sold a fair number of the off beat SPXs.....needless to say he won't be selling one of those zany looking contraptions to me. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA