Best longish range .223

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Flynnismydog

Best longish range .223

Post by Flynnismydog »

Hi guys I'm looking for a .223 bolt action rifle for about 350 meter but can't make my mind up on what one to get. Any help would be appreciated thanks
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Best longish range .223

Post by akuser47 »

What is your budget? this will help us narrow your options Entry level out the box .223 bolt gun I would choose any savage accutrigger heavy barrel in the configuration you like. If cash is not an issue than than a surgeon scapel is awesome my rich cousin has one it is so accurate. Othger wise a remy 700 can fit the bill as well and alot of stuff out there to make her your own as well. Then you gotta pic your glass and that can cost as much as or more than your rifle if you choose.
http://www.surgeonrifles.com/rifles
I went the remy 700 route as I had a remington 700 VLS and had the bolt trued action bluprinted. Put her into a Bell and Carlson medalists stock, I put a jewel adjustable trigger on her and fireform/ neck size all it's ammo and she does well though mine is .308. But you could do the same with one in .223 The scope I got at a steal on a no reserve auction I think I got it for 500 maybe 600 nib it is a Burris XTR 6x24x50 30mm tube wearing XTR medium rings on a millet 20moa one peice base. It took time and money I don't have much of either to get her were I like her, but I still want to cut the long barrel down and have her threaded and will someday.
Last edited by akuser47 on 22 Dec 2013 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

You will need a 9 twist barrel or faster if you wish to shoot 69's or heavier. I put a Kreiger 9 twist on my Rem 700.
Flynnismydog

Post by Flynnismydog »

My budget is 700-800 but i could maybe stretch too 1000. Also what bullet weight is best for 300-400 meters. thanks for the replies it helps a lot
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Flynnismydog wrote:My budget is 700-800 but i could maybe stretch too 1000. Also what bullet weight is best for 300-400 meters. thanks for the replies it helps a lot
You can shoot 300 to 400 yards no problem with a 55 grainer depending on your target, but as stated above if you want heavier your better off getting the right barrel/twist rate for them so you have the best long distance plan with the coverage you need :lol: I would check into the savage options annd remingtons for sure. Sometimes you can find a nice used rig already set and dialed in. Saves alot of cash Just really take your time as to what you plan on for this rig so you can make a sound decision on what barrel/bullet combos you plan on shooting. Also Do you reload you can really stretch the rifles abilities if you are able to taylor make your own. keep us posted.

Snipercentral.com is awesome to help you get started they also biuld GTG starter rifles check it out I have not been there a long time My ol username over there is blackfeather you can select howa or remy and have it done by some gtg smiths. This is no advertisment I am just trying to help you out RD Please let me know if this is ok if not I can clear it and PM from here on. I will be sending Im to you to make sure.
http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackages.phtml
Flynnismydog

Post by Flynnismydog »

Yes I do reload also I was looking at the savage 12 varmint are they good rifles or would I be better of with a remington. I also realy like the cz 527 full stock but I assume it is not very accurate and it only has a 1-12 barrel . Thanks a lot for the replies
sherman

Post by sherman »

You mite try a Ruger M77 Hawkeye .Mine is a nail driver at 300 yrds. The best rifle I have ever used. +guns
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Flynnismydog wrote:Yes I do reload also I was looking at the savage 12 varmint are they good rifles or would I be better of with a remington. I also realy like the cz 527 full stock but I assume it is not very accurate and it only has a 1-12 barrel . Thanks a lot for the replies
The savages are great and aftermarket support is getting better and catching up to remington. Hard to beat a savage in cost to results. You generally have to invest money into a remington to get what most get out of the box from a savage. CZ are great rifles as well not a huge aftermarket parts support but if you like the factory setup and can tune your loads to the barrel it has I see no issue they are great rifles as well. If you get a savage try to at least get there accustock as it is more sturdy thatn their tupperware stocks. Unless you plan on replaceing the stock with aftermarket. Keep us posted.
Flynnismydog

Post by Flynnismydog »

What do you guys think of a savage model 12 fcv varmint with accutrigger and accustock and a 1-9 twist rate. Thanks
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Flynnismydog wrote:What do you guys think of a savage model 12 fcv varmint with accutrigger and accustock and a 1-9 twist rate. Thanks
Roll less than a 68 grain bullet weights and test until you find a flavor it likes this twist will not stabilize heavier bullets. Not saying you can't shot heavy weights it just will not shoot them as well.
This will serve your stated intent well. as 55 grain loads will shoot really well in a 1by9 barrel and should have no issue shooting the range you want. Considering at the perry nationals they shoot iron sights a1's at 600 yards wiith battlefield accuracy this should do very good. keep us posted. Though alot of current mil spec 5.56 barrels are 1by 7 twist rate and this will serve heavier bullets very well 50 grain and lighter not so much.
Last edited by akuser47 on 24 Dec 2013 18:45, edited 2 times in total.