rossi 92 not feeding

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
jalex1941

rossi 92 not feeding

Post by jalex1941 »

Hello, I bought a rossi 92 a while back and im really enjoying the rifle but I just noticed that the rifle isn't feeding properly. I loaded the rifle with 38spl fp and then tried some round noses and it wont feed the bullets into the chamber, ive looked at it and it looks like the feed ramp is to low for the bullets to go in. Ive also tried with some .357 mag and it still has the issue. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue ?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: rossi 92 not feeding

Post by Ranch Dog »

The 357 Mag tends to be the most problematic of the chamber offerings. You didn't detail what you have done to the rifle but it must be taken taken down and at least cleaned. This step usually requires a non-chlorinated brake cleaner to be used as the packing grease is quite difficult to remove and actually causes a lot of function issues if allowed to remain.

My next step, after cleaning, would be to put the rifle back together, spray it well with a quality gun oil, and then cycle the action at least 500 times. I then flush it again and lube it for use. After reassembly, check the function again and then it is time to address specific feed issues if any.

Most owners are intimidated by the disassembly but there really is no reason to fear it.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I noticed that some of the NIB Rossi rifle receivers & magazine tubes are "chock full" of a hardened and very tenacious amalgamation of cosmoline, grindings, dirt, rust.
You'd think Rossi warehoused them at the bottom of a sewage lagoon.
Bottom line: You need to get the dirt & crud out of the receiver/magazine tube or the gun will never function right.
There is only ONE way to do that properly & that way is to disassemble the gun and use a solvent like brake parts cleaner or alcohol or a suitable (dechlorinated) commercial cleaner. I like to use a coarse bristle tooth brush to scrub the parts.
Once the receiver and magazine tubes are thoroughly cleaned proper lubing & cycling 500 times will smooth the guns out.
Cycling is selective deburring.......depending on location & severity some metal burrs are superfluous & actually don't interfere with funtionality in any way and some, especially burrs in the throat of the chamber or neck of the magazine tube where it ajoins the receiver or on or near the cartridge lifter, will hinder cycling & feeding ammo to a great degree.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Both RD and pricedo are on the money if you are to leary of tear down then just remove rear buttstock take mag spring and follower out and use nonchlorinated break cleaner to flush the barrel the mag tube and the action until the run off comes out clean work the lever abit as you spray to get better cleaning in and around the bolt and lever lugs. just spray until it comes out clean then use whatever oil u like to relube I like the clp aerosol cans to soak the action and I swab with patch and cleaning rod barrel and mag tube. As RD stated then sit and cycle at least 500 times this means decocking it each time don't dry fire her. Then degrease again you will be surprised at how much dirt and gunk will be in there again just after this.It is better to tear her down but this is an option if you are leary of tear down. Keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jalex1941

Post by jalex1941 »

I disassembled the entire rifle excluding the bolt the day I purchased it and cleaned all the old oil and gunk out of it using Hoppes and CLP cleaner lubricant spray. I initially had an issue with the rifle chewing my brass but after working the action that has pretty much gone away but now I am trying to figure out how to clear up this issue because im tired of having to guide the bullet into the chamber with my finger.

Just to let you know what I do when I fire the rifle; is I load the rifle and work the lever all the way forward and all the way back, ive noticed that If I do this quickly my bullet will somewhat fly up off the feed ramp and when I work it slower to its most forward position the bullet is still sitting below the mouth of the chamber. I will try to get a picture up sometime today.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jalex1941 wrote:Just to let you know what I do when I fire the rifle; is I load the rifle and work the lever all the way forward and all the way back, ive noticed that If I do this quickly my bullet will somewhat fly up off the feed ramp ...
Might need to shim the right cartridge guide.
Michael
jalex1941

Post by jalex1941 »

Well, Ive shimmed the guide and it seems to have fixed the problem, I really appreciate all the help guys.