36" Barrel

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

36" Barrel

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Confession time, I got to feeling pretty bummed out as I wore out the barrel on my 50 cal hawken, loved that gun. Unable to find a new barrel I gave up.
So I got me this here Rossi, and I come here to this forum. Real nice folk here.
Any how I give up looking for a barrel, 36" 1" across the flats, 50 cal,1 in 70 twist,, a Hawken thing.
So today the phone rings, Scott form Colerain Barrel Company will make me a barrel.
Now I lost all intrest in my Rossi, all I think about is my Hawken, new barrel be here next month, I got a machine shop and a gun smith lined up to do all of the machine work and Parkerizing,,,,,
Not to worry, I will take the Rossi with to Colorado rabbit hunting,
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 36" Barrel

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm sure all of us run hot and cold on firearms. They are rather forgiving as long as you keep them clean and ready to go!
Michael
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Please PLEASE post a picture or two of that monster when it's done.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote:Confession time, I got to feeling pretty bummed out as I wore out the barrel on my 50 cal hawken, loved that gun. Unable to find a new barrel I gave up.
So I got me this here Rossi, and I come here to this forum. Real nice folk here.
Any how I give up looking for a barrel, 36" 1" across the flats, 50 cal,1 in 70 twist,, a Hawken thing.
So today the phone rings, Scott form Colerain Barrel Company will make me a barrel.
Now I lost all intrest in my Rossi, all I think about is my Hawken, new barrel be here next month, I got a machine shop and a gun smith lined up to do all of the machine work and Parkerizing,,,,,
Not to worry, I will take the Rossi with to Colorado rabbit hunting,
Did you check Dixie Gun works?
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Thanks yall for the posts, I did look at Dixie G works and all them nuther ones, but the barrel I wanted was like it sold out all over the country. This new one will have a Gain Twist, starts out at 1 in 96 and the breach, and ends up 1 in 48 at the muzzle.
I never shot one but folks swear by it,,,I also got to confess, if I had a case of fish hooks and 6 dozen worms, I'd have to go fishing,, I got stuff to shoot 50, until I die.

If I can figger out how to post a pic,,I will, but it'l be spring before she's ready to sing. I haven't been this nervous since I got married.
If yall was doing this, would you Parkerize it? or Blue,,,my stock is real shiny, ?????
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

The barrel is now at the Machine Shop, now I have to WAITE! +corn +corn +corn +corn +corn +zzz +zzz +zzz +corn +corn +corn +corn +zzz +zzz +zzz +corn +corn +corn :(

It's gona be be custom, only the lock, barrel and front site were the same as original until now.
After its done, the lock and orginal Stock and Ram Rod hardware will be original,
The gun failed a bit in balance with the original barrel, but when I shouldered it with the new barrel taped in place, WOW, a dream to hold and aim.4 inches longer.
I could rattle on all day, I better waite til its done, I have NEVER seen anything like it.
I gotta shut up.......
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Here I sit,,in front of this pooter, no body else to talk to., in 1 hour and 19 minutes I will get in my van and drive to the machine shop/gun smith who Parkerized my barrel, and finnished mounting everything, it was a team effort. Like yesterday I went over to see what size tap he needed, I ended up pulling one out of his tool box.
The guy just don't get mm's. The nipple and the Touch Hole insert are the only metric on it.

I am the "Geter Done" type, he is the ever so patient it must be perfect type,,,he has had it since Jan 10th.
I probably won't be posting pics until Monday, and I will go shoot it ASAP.

I am a nervous wreck, I bet you all will think the barrel is too long, it's perfect.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

OK, here it is, new barrel and all. +guns Can't wait to try it out.
This thing is old, and had a lot of use. 12.5LBS 54" Long
The rear of the stock sports a Rawhide recoil pad, laced to the but with a big brass POG on the other side, given to me by my son years ago.
Next moving forward is a gold and silver coin with a silver cross from my daughter.
The next small button is a gold and black NRA pin, then last another coin showing the declation of independance being signed.
Comming forward is the Marbles rear site on top of the 36" Colerain Gain Twist Barrel.
And last a Marbles 1/16" brass bead site.
When I shoulder it the sites just line up instantly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Very Nice.

Do you shoot it from sticks?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Not usually, the weight and balance has made it nice to shoot standing, or sitting.
But, due to age and remote control itus I do have a prop I can use.
I have a lot of shooting to do to find out what makes this new barrel happy.
This is my first Gain Twist, hope I like it.

Thanks for the words.