Alaska

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Alaska

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Any here from Alaska, if so, are thier any Rossi's you carry?
Here in Utah are many stories about Alaska, " Man killed by Grizzly after firing 10 rounds out of a 7mmRem Mag into bear".,,,,I dunno if all the stuff I hear is true,,,
I know big bullets might be smart to pack if you were in Grizzly Country, but I have questions like, how big,?
And how fast you gotta push em?
I wager 45 Colt may be risky, yet 454 Casull good? Or better yet, 45/70 .
Are you better off to carry a long lever rifle, with fast action and good accuracy?
Or a 6 shooter, can be pointed quicker, always on the hip?
Or something in between like the Ranch Hand.
If I could, I may re-locate to Alaska, all the stuff I shoot be great for tablefare, but not enough boom for Grizzly.??
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alaska

Post by Ranch Dog »

The "Similar Topics" below identified two such members, hopefully they will join in.
Michael
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I talk to a guy that lives in AK and he's mentioned the Marlin's in .45-70 are carried up there quite a bit. Maybe once the Rossi RG has been around for a while it could become a trusted rifle.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I was thinking a stainless steel Rossi trapper (16" bbl) in 454 Casull teamed with a stainless 4" bbl Freedom Arms or Ruger SuperRedhawk revolver that shoots the same ammo as an ideal combo for Alaska/Canadian/wherever defense/survival firearm from the great bears.
The 454 Casull pistol rounds are a lot less bulky and heavy than 45-70 rounds and pack almost the same punch when fired from a rifle.
Volume & weight count in the wilderness when all your supplies come out of a pack-sack.
Stainless firearms stand up better to harsh weather conditions and the revolver which would be packed in a holster under a parka or coat in the winter time would need to be resistant to perspiration.
Oiling would be kept to an absolute minimum as absolutely necessary & even then using non-freezing types......the guns should be "run dry".
One caliber of ammo would feed both guns which would double as survival & sustenance guns.
I'd use my 454 Casull load (I can handload where necessary......did it for many years) which pushes a 335 grain hard cast lead bullet.
I'd keep a good supply of 454 Casull ammo (reloading components) in stock as I haven't lived in Alaska for a while and don't know the current availability of 454 Casull ammo/reloading components.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

That is a good idea as long as the favored revolver ammo will feed in the lever action. I've only found one .44 magnum bullet I cast so far that I figured wouldn't fit but I still wanted to try. The Lee 430-310-RF wouldn't feed from the first crimp groove. But I assume we would all test these things ahead of time. I would just hate to see someone buy a rifle with a favorite load that won't even feed.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Maximumbob54 wrote:That is a good idea as long as the favored revolver ammo will feed in the lever action. I've only found one .44 magnum bullet I cast so far that I figured wouldn't fit but I still wanted to try. The Lee 430-310-RF wouldn't feed from the first crimp groove. But I assume we would all test these things ahead of time. I would just hate to see someone buy a rifle with a favorite load that won't even feed.
As you say that's all stuff you thoroughly check & test before going afield.
My rifle rounds fit & shoot in the revolver & vice versa.
I didn't survive 40 years of working in the North American wilderness by taking things for granted. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

On the "Alaska State Trooper" TV show, I've notice that they all seem to have both an AR of some flavor and a Marlin 1895 in their patrol car so I assume these are the State issued rifles. What surprises me that it is the full rifle, a 22" barreled rifle, not the 1895G with it's shorter barrel.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

On the "Alaska State Trooper" TV show, I've noticed that they all seem to have both an AR of some flavor and a Marlin 1895 in their patrol car so I assume these are the State issued rifles. What surprises me is that the Marlin is the straight 1895 with the 22" barrel, not the 1895G with it's shorter barrel.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Next time I see a State Trooper trekking around way out in the sticks where you'll usually find me I'll ask him if 2 or 3 extra pounds & 4" of barrel makes a difference with a gun that's on your shoulder in thick brush all day, every day.
But I kinda doubt if that conversation will ever happen........those guys are rarely out of sight of the cherries on top of their vehicles.
If my job was driving around all day in a cruiser, swamp cat or ATV I would quit being so darn weight & barrel length sensitive.
Spending some serious time in the deep wilderness (I mean living there, not visiting there) will give a person some idea what's important & what isn't.
4 hours in a tree stand or ground blind with a warm bed & a hot meal 10 minutes away won't give you that perspective.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I'm in the process of conjecturing a load with the Quick Load program for my Winchester model 94 Trails End take-down rifle in 450 Marlin involving a 400 grain hard cast (bh:25) gas-checked bullet, CCI primers, Hornady cases & H322 powder. I'm waiting for the case length gauge and cutter to arrive from LEE before activating the action plan. This gun weighs in at 6 3/4 pounds and has a tougher-than-nails Leupold 2-7x33mm "Rifleman" scope mounted on it with removable Warne QD mounts.
This gun though very powerful will dissassemble & fit into a waterproof bag in my packsack in a jiffy.
An ideal deep wilderness packsack gun as is my Browning BLR take-down rifle in the same caliber.
The BLR is even more suitable because it has no safeties other than the half-cock safety.
They both fit into a waterproof bag in my packsack really nice.
I would prefer SS guns but I hunted ducks & geese for 30 years with the same blue 870 shotgun and there is not a single pit or a spot of rust on it or in it........the blue models hold their own with a little more oil & tlc. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA