Not feeding out of mag tube??

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
se3388

Not feeding out of mag tube??

Post by se3388 »

Ok, it's time to ask the resident experts. I bought a new M92 .454 and about 2 to 3 out of 10 times it will not feed a round out of the mag tube. You can cycle the lever several times and you can still see the rim of the cartridge resting against the cartridge stop you can reach in and push the cartridge stop over and the round pops back on the carrier and then feeds into the chamber (provided you move your finger out of the way) when you work the lever. The action has been flushed as well as the magazine tube and relubed. Does it need to go back to the mother ship for some tender care?

Steve............
NRA Benefactor Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life member
USAF Veteran
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Not feeding out of mag tube??

Post by pricedo »

se3388 wrote:Ok, it's time to ask the resident experts. I bought a new M92 .454 and about 2 to 3 out of 10 times it will not feed a round out of the mag tube. You can cycle the lever several times and you can still see the rim of the cartridge resting against the cartridge stop you can reach in and push the cartridge stop over and the round pops back on the carrier and then feeds into the chamber (provided you move your finger out of the way) when you work the lever. The action has been flushed as well as the magazine tube and relubed. Does it need to go back to the mother ship for some tender care?

Steve............
Flushing does NOTHING to remove metal burrs which depending on location & severity can interfere with functionality.
Rossi doesn't do fitting & finishing......you have to do it.
The gun has to be stripped to get at and remove the burrs.
Learning to properly tune up a Rossi 92 is like learning to swim........you can keep circling the pool but eventually you have to jump in and get wet. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I agree with pricedo on this you started out correct flush is the start but sometimes not enough next step is to tear her down to look for obvious problems burss and such but if you are leary of this lube here up sloppy and sit and cycle her 500 times or more resetting your hammer by hand as to even recock each and every time is best it can be tedious but this may work then after this 500 or more cycles you can fllush again relube and see if she improves if noit time for some simple rossi surgery.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 is right about resetting the hammer every time.
Glad somebody else picked up on that.
This methodology even applies to the "Cadillac" brands of leverguns.
My latest acquisition a Winchester (Miroku) model 1886 Extra Light was stiff before I applied the regimen to it.
You have to be careful stripping the new lawyered-up Miroku leverguns because there are umpteen dozen little parts in the trigger and firing pin linkages that like to hide under stuff and in carpets and rugs if they fall out.
If you lose just one of these tiny components your $1400 rifle becomes a fancy club.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

you are correct on the jap winchestters I did a tune up on a 3030 94 jap win. and was not a simple task though I suffered through it but good god they have polluted the design with safety crap for sure.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I understand that Steve Young of Steve's Gunz will convert a Miroku Winchester 92 or 1886 back to the old Blue Print Browning configuration (remove safety junk, tang safety. rebounding hammer) but it costs almost as much as a new gun.
My gun is now very slick from dry cycling....... certainly slick enough for hunting.
Sorry for wandering off topic. :oops:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
se3388

Post by se3388 »

Looks like I have a tear down to do. Oh well there's still snow on the ground and it's too messy to do much of anything outside so might as well.

Steve............
USAF Veteran
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

se3388 wrote:Looks like I have a tear down to do. Oh well there's still snow on the ground and it's too messy to do much of anything outside so might as well.

Steve............
You're right ........it's winter......lots of time for projects.
You can even set a TV on the work bench and watch your favorite shows.
Take your time, don't rush anything and make mistakes, do your research before making permanent changes in wood or metal, lots of help available on the internet (forums, You Tube, etc.).
It ain't rocket science. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
se3388

Post by se3388 »

Well it's done, took a day and a half but it is cleaned deburred and slicked up. When I took the bolt out the left cartridge guide fell out as well as it's screw. Seems it came from the factory stripped. A quick call to Steve and he suggested tapping it to 6 x 48, I did and also found a screw in my assorted screw jar, I just had to dress down the head and with a little cold blue it matches perfectly. It cycles easier and smoother than it did before. It even cycles the Cast performance 300 gr LBT style bullets better but it still fails to feed some from the mag every once in a while. I have built several bolt action rifles but this was my first time tearing into a lever action, it's not so bad. My barrel band screw came out easily and did not need any twisting or prying to get the screw in or out, once it was broken loose it could be turned in and out by hand. The forend was not binding either, guess I got luck on that.

Steve.............
USAF Veteran
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Back to the swimming pool analogy..........congrats for taking the plunge Image .........very fast work indeed ! :mrgreen:
A lot of Rossi 92 owners will unfortunately continue to circle the pool and never know the full potential of these Rossi rifles. :cry:

Case in point lesson: unless you're from Krypton you can't see inside these rifles and you have to strip them down to find & fix the problems.

***Now to nip & polish off that burr in the throat of the magazine tube where it enters the receiver. +corn
Last edited by pricedo on 17 Dec 2013 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA