RD's Hunting Camp!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: RD's Hunting Camp!

Post by akuser47 »

You have to do what you love no matter the sport. Perspective of the sport is what gives that great feeling once we catch that moment in the hunt. The harvest of the hunt, the trophy at the end of that trail.The tracking of the last buck I got with an old recurve bow my uncle lent me. I got a lung shot at 28 yards so it ran a good 225 yards before finally dropping. It took so long to find it we had actaully gave up after 3 hours as it started raining and the trail was lost in the downpour we came across the trophy on our way back to my uncles CJ. I will never forget that moment he was envious it was 13 point buck and I was so excited. I will never forget those moments. I wish I had thought better in those days to take a pic.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I wish I had thought better in those days to take a pic.
Great story! I was a hard core recurve hunter up through my Dad moving to the ranch. I too wish I had taken more pictures through those days. I now take self portraits of all my hunts, I want to give my grandson a bit of history for all the rifles I'm going to give him.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
akuser47 wrote:I wish I had thought better in those days to take a pic.
Great story! I was a hard core recurve hunter up through my Dad moving to the ranch. I too wish I had taken more pictures through those days. I now take self portraits of all my hunts, I want to give my grandson a bit of history for all the rifles I'm going to give him.
That's good keep it up he will have a real good history for his inheritence
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Ranch Dog wrote: I want to give my grandson a bit of history for all the rifles I'm going to give him.
You mean the East Texas Armory!!.... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Shot a doe this evening and the grandkids came running out and wanted to help! They both live on the ranch.

Shot it with the 45 Colt and my TLC454-290-RF at about 85 yards. The Gunslinger Springs are sweet!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Congrats.........that young doe is an "eater".........real fine table fare.
No B&C trophy winner but the meat is going to be so tender it will melt in your mouth.
You probably would have missed that deer by a mile if it wasn't for the "miraculous" Gunslinger spring kit.
The $24.95 investment is paying "meat on the ground" dividends already. :mrgreen:

** Also congrats on two grand-kids that won't be liberal anti-gunners when they grow up to voting age.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

congrats RD keep the RD ranch alive in your family as they learn the ins and outs. love it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:** Also congrats on two grand-kids that won't be liberal anti-gunners when they grow up to voting age.
akuser47 wrote:congrats RD keep the RD ranch alive in your family as they learn the ins and outs. love it.
Thanks guys! The kids are always amazing around the deer, the women folk (mom and grandma) don't realize what they are missing by staying inside.

Even on the youth hunts I sponsor, I've never had a kid get grossed out when cleaning a deer. In fact, they are most inquisitive so I spend a lot of time showing them the stuff that is inside them as well. It definitely gets the wheels turning, you can see it, as they contemplate all this. As an example, this deer is going to the local food bank. Arianna, my granddaughter, was a bit sorry that this doe was killed. So I explained that if it wasn't for the deer donated by our ranch (about 10 a year) and other ranches in the area, the 700+ families that depend on the bank in our county would only receive one chicken every three weeks. That is all meat based protein the program provides. With that bit of info, she asked how many more permits we had and how soon could I "get them down"!

My grandson had brought is tool box up to the cleaning area. When I unloaded the deer, I saw him run over and hit doe in the head with his plastic hammer. I said "whoa Tonto, what are your doing?" In his excitement he explained that he saw it move and thought it was going to get me! I admire the courage of the kid willing to take on a critter that weighs four times what he does! This little fellow has turned into quite the woodsman. He told my wife a couple of days ago that he was "going to #1". A few minutes later I asked "where is Noah?" She said "he said he was going to #1". I bolted out the door as sure enough he was headed up the hill to go to a deer stand about a half mile away! He actually knows all the stands and feeder locations, all eight, and how to get to them and back. He knows every road and gate on the ranch. No worries though as the dog is always with him, she is a tough as nails when it comes to this stuff and him.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Shot a doe with my R92 454 Casull and my new TLC452-330-RF, the doe is in the center of the picture..

I'm casting the bullet with 50/50 Linotype/wheel weights so that I can put the pressure to the bullet, the full pressure this cartridge is designed for. I'm using 30.5-grains of Lil'Gun for 55K PSI and 1925 FPS!

I guess the bullet will make an impressive deer bullet. I shot the deer when it was broadside, right across the top the heart and through both lungs. The deer ran past the tree my rifle is resting against. Check out the blood trail it left. Huge hole knocked through it!

Kids came out and helped me again!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I see her nice more fresh meat keep us posted RD thanks for all of this that you do I really do appriciate this site.