RD's First Kill with R762MB!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

RD's First Kill with R762MB!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Found a nice boar out feeding this morning and put my Single Shot R762MB (7.62X39) to him which did not work out well for him.

When I saw him he was 125 yards from me, my initial thought is to always close the distance. I looked down at the ground and it was solid dried live oak leaves. Despite the 20 MPH crosswind and distance, I took one step and he heard me and turned to face me. He could not see me and definitely could not smell me because of the wind so after a few seconds he turned back broadside and went back to rooting. I thought, oh well, and shot him offhand from a standing position. The rifle is sighted in at 100-yards so I just held the elevation on his heart and put about 2" into his shoulder and sent the Prvi Partizan 123-grain Round Nose Soft Point on its way. Honestly, I wasn't quite sure how much the crosswind would drift the bullet but you darn sure don't want into the shoulder of this type of hog with anything. The report of the 7.62x39 is pretty low but there was no doubt I hit the boar as the bullet smack was very loud! The hog immediately hit the brush and I could tell that he was hit solid. Within seconds, I heard him go down hard. I waited about 30 minutes as I've been rolled three times by hogs this size and there isn't much you can do about it. You just wait until THEY get tired. Better to wait it out in the clear! He died 15 yards from where he was standing at the shot.

The bullet did not exit but it did what it needed to do. I came back to the house and ran all the ballistics with the wind and the ammo performed spot on with the bullet drifting the appropriate distance. When I bought the ammo, I went ahead and treated it like I would my cast bullets to include determining an actual BC shot across two chronographs 100 yards apart. I will include my ballistic stuff at the bottom of this post.

I know there are those that think this cartridge is under-powered but I disagree. I think it is a unique cartridge that performs well for the same reasons that other unique cartridges like the 30-30 Win, 32 Win Spl, 35 Rem, etc. do. All of these cartridges define the bullet that will be used and because of that, jacket thickness and other properties can be tailored to its specific terminal needs. None of these cartridges have to share their projectiles with any other cartridges. The more generic a design is the more compromised it's design is because of the range of velocities the projectile must accommodate.

I actually have my TLC313-115-RF load work ready for testing in this rifle with H4227, just need the weather to settle down to check it out.

I am really happy that I put the effort into finding this rare Rossi offering. It is absolute joy to shoot and is going to see a lot of deer and hogs hit the dirt down here in South Texas.
[hr][/hr]Image

Michael
f100cleveland

Re: RD's First Kill with R762MB!

Post by f100cleveland »

That is a nice pig. Sure would be nice to have your hunting setup.You look a little cold with two jackets on. This morning it was -15 here and I only had one on.Haha I found a 7.62x39 with composite stock and scope but not sure I want to buy it for just the barrel for my project pistol.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Congrats........that's a nice big healthy looking hog.
Sometimes you gotta take the shot that's presented or wait (& hope) for another opportunity & in most cases you don't have all day to make up your mind.
I'd take a daytime stationary broadside shot on an animal that size and color (solid black) up to 150 yards with one of my iron sighted Winchester 94s and double that distance or more with a scoped firearm.
Just like shooting steel silouettes (about the same color) at the range.
He was a wrapped in red ribbon "gift hog" at 125 yards.............sometimes you get lucky.
It isn't always this easy.
The deer I hunt seem to always want to present a front forward profile (I think it's a conspiracy :roll: ) and I need to put the bullet between the front legs and half way to the base of the neck. That was the case this year at over 90 yards.
2 options......take the shot "as is" or go home with an empty truck.
The tough 308 Winchester Nosler 165 grain Accubond bullet punched through and took out the lungs.
That big hog should be fine eating. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

nice
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks guys!
f100cleveland wrote:You look a little cold with two jackets on. This morning it was -15 here and I only had one on.Haha
It was 31° and the wind was 21 mph, that makes it pretty cold for this Texan. It is dropped into the high twentys this afternoon with mist. I doubt anybody will hunt this afternoon. Our deer don't like it either, they are hunkered down. Haven't seen a deer all day and I've normally seen 35 to 50 on the food plots here at the house at this point in the day.
f100cleveland wrote:I found a 7.62x39 with composite stock and scope but not sure I want to buy it for just the barrel for my project pistol.
If you decide to pass on it, you might consider putting the info on its whereabouts on the forum as they are hard to find.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I love a success story. Surprising to hear that cartridge did so well on a fairly large hog. Well done RD!
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Good shot with a 21 MPH cross wind. A properly designed round nose bullet will work just fine. Not really much difference in drop out to a couple of hundred yards. Not sure why they are not more popular. I think they are a perfect match for the 7.62x39 for hunting. What does the bullet look like? Good expansion?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

ironhead7544 wrote:What does the bullet look like? Good expansion?

Great expansion, best I can measure is double the caliber. No jacket/core separation, even in the sand in my backstops. $9.99 per box of 20.
Michael
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

Ranch Dog wrote:
ironhead7544 wrote:What does the bullet look like? Good expansion?

Great expansion, best I can measure is double the caliber. No jacket/core separation, even in the sand in my backstops. $9.99 per box of 20.
Where did you get them for that low of a price? I bought that little single shot so now I have to buy some feed for it plus more than likely reloading dies.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

f100cleveland wrote:Where did you get them for that low of a price?
I bought my ammo from MidwayUSA but have since found it a bit cheaper through Graf & Sons. Good thing about G&S is that they have a flat shipping rate per order ($7) so if you buy 10+ boxes, shipping costs you very little.
f100cleveland wrote:I bought that little single shot so now I have to buy some feed for it plus more than likely reloading dies.
I just don't take factory ammo for granted, I want to know a little about it. So, I pull it apart and figure it out:
  • This is a .310" bullet, I verified that with micrometer.
  • The bullet is listed as 123-grains, the actual bullet weight is 125-grains. I pulled bullets to measure and weigh them.
  • The ammo is loaded with 27.5-grain of ball powder, the actual powder is anybody's guess.1
  • The cartridge OAL is 1.940".
  • The case length is 1.520, it uses a large rifle box primer so the brass is a given for the reloader.2
  • The velocity spec from a 24" barrel is 2460 FPS. MidwayUSA info is simply a typo at 2640 FPS.
  • There was no BC listed for the bullet. I shot ten-shot strings from two rifles (the R762MB & Savage 10 FCM) across two chronographs 50 yards apart to determine the BC. The BC is .195 and the SD is .188.
  • Rossi Single Shot
    • Barrel Length: 23"
    • Muzzle Velocity: 2452 FPS at 77°, 300' elevation
    • Standard Deviation: 22 FPS
    • Extreme Spread: 77 FPS
Notes:
  • 1Using QuickLoad, I entered the specific information of bullet, case, and my rifle and then asked for a load that would produce exactly 2451 FPS at 77°. Interesting enough it spit out Vihtavuori N150, a European manufactured ball powder.
  • 2Prvi Partizan 7.62X39 brass as a component through G&S will cost you approximately 40¢ a case so loaded ammo at 50¢ a case isn't bad at all. I do have a source for once fired brass at approximately 18¢ a case. I've bought 1K cases and it was all quality stuff. PM if you would like the information.
Michael