RD's First Kill with R762MB!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: RD's First Kill with R762MB!

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Mrlucky353 wrote:This is one of the best hunting stories I've ever seen posted online.
Concise, suspenseful and so informative!

And "...rolled by a pig this size three times.." is something I'll be sure to remember
the next time I'm out hunting hogs.

Great post.

Steve
Welcome Mr. Lucky!!! Glad you found us!!

OK RD how did I miss another hog kill? You better send me a heads up PM when you whack one with the slug gun.... :lol: Just how many freezers do you have.... :? Nice looking hog there, bet he will fit the pit real nice.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mrlucky353 wrote:This is one of the best hunting stories I've ever seen posted online.

And "...rolled by a pig this size three times.." is something I'll be sure to remember

Great post.
Thank you I appreciate your comments! There is a lot of hunters around here that are not real careful around feral hogs anymore. I've been engaged by them a number of times in my lifetime and it is quite a fistfight!
Tuco Ramirez wrote:OK RD how did I miss another hog kill? You better send me a heads up PM when you whack one with the slug gun.... :lol: Just how many freezers do you have.... :? Nice looking hog there, bet he will fit the pit real nice.
I just figure a lot of members must be tired of hearing about it! :oops: I will fess up. I missed a very large boar Monday night about 11:00 with the Slug Gun. I had pretty good ambient lighting from a well flare across the fenceline. Near freezing in moderate rain and winds quartering behind me at about 25 mph. The shot was 70 to 75 yards, don't know how I missed him ;)
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:

Great post.
Thank you I appreciate your comments! There is a lot of hunters around here that are not real careful around feral hogs anymore. I've been engaged by them a number of times in my lifetime and it is quite a fistfight!
Tuco Ramirez wrote:OK RD how did I miss another hog kill? You better send me a heads up PM when you whack one with the slug gun.... :lol: Just how many freezers do you have.... :? Nice looking hog there, bet he will fit the pit real nice.
I just figure a lot of members must be tired of hearing about it! :oops: I will fess up. I missed a very large boar Monday night about 11:00 with the Slug Gun. I had pretty good ambient lighting from a well flare across the fenceline. Near freezing in moderate rain and winds quartering behind me at about 25 mph. The shot was 70 to 75 yards, don't know how I missed him ;)
I'll bet it was that Lee spring kit........told yah ! :lol: :lol:

You're lucky......most of us are counting snow flakes floating past the window and you're out huntin. :mrgreen:

Missing a hog is no big deal......plenty more "on deck" to take his place in your gunsights.

Even if you wounded one I'm sure his peers and the yotes would finish him off very quick and his suffering would be over in short order.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Hey it happens to all of us..... Heck I missed (2) does this year and have idea what the heck happen. My shooting conditions were very good. Yours were about as bad as they come.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:I'll bet it was that Lee spring kit........told yah ! :lol: :lol:

You're lucky......most of us are counting snow flakes floating past the window and you're out huntin. :mrgreen:

Missing a hog is no big deal......plenty more "on deck" to take his place in your gunsights.

Even if you wounded one I'm sure his peers and the yotes would finish him off very quick and his suffering would be over in short order.
Haah... it was the Single Shot Slug Gun so the Gunslinger Kit wasn't involved with this one.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Keep us posted on the slug gun..... I am watching this close. I just have good feeling about this set up!!

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Keep us posted on the slug gun..... I am watching this close. I just have good feeling about this set up!!
I received all the stuff to build my 3" slug hulls this afternoon. Going to be killing goofers tomorrow so won't get to it. Also conversed with my contact at Lee Precision today and told him what I was working on and was told that Lee is working on the same. Updating the components and loads to match what is being used now. I guess great minds think alike! :shock:
Michael
Mrlucky353

Post by Mrlucky353 »

This week I plan to chrono some of my PRVI 7.62x39 Round Nose with my CZ 527, which has an 18.5 inch barrel.

I'll post the results.

Feel free to make an educated guess for the 5 shot average through the 18.5 inch barrel.
Whoever comes the closest wins first prize. 8-)
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Tuco Ramirez wrote:Keep us posted on the slug gun..... I am watching this close. I just have good feeling about this set up!!
I received all the stuff to build my 3" slug hulls this afternoon. Going to be killing goofers tomorrow so won't get to it. Also conversed with my contact at Lee Precision today and told him what I was working on and was told that Lee is working on the same. Updating the components and loads to match what is being used now. I guess great minds think alike! :shock:
[youtube][/youtube]
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Haah... like the referenced video!

With the drought here in Texas, gophers are epidemic. They are killing quite a bit of vegetation. I use an implement attached to my tractor that was designed to kill them, or at least lay the bait, and it is very effective. It is called a Gopher Ridder.
Gopher_Ridder_01.jpg
This implements creates a tunnel that cyanide laced grain is dropped in. The tunnels are cut in long lines which the gophers cross and join. As they move down the tunnels they eat the milo and never surface again.
Gopher_Ridder_02.jpg
These strips are placed wherever the tractor can get on a 25' spacing. The cyanide content is .05% per pound of grain and the grain is metered out at one pound per acre. If done on a active basis, you eliminate them. When a new colony moves in, you box them in and they are gone too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael