Cold Turkey M92 action job...

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
jamesgpobog

Cold Turkey M92 action job...

Post by jamesgpobog »

No pun intended.

I've had my .357 M92 for a couple decades but never shot it much, I'm more of a pistolero. Well with the threat of the coming Zombie apocalypse, I've wanted to do more as far as creating "sets" of my guns, rifle/pistol combos, and the M92 is solid for that, as I have several .357 and .38 revolvers.

I got the "slick-up" instructions and was promptly scared to death. I have pretty good mechanical abilities, but not so much with small parts and springs. But I decided to give it a shot.

I started with the ejector. The shaft was very rough and had a large burr. A needle file took down the burr and some 600/1000 oiled sandpaper made it smooth as a babys bottom. I polished the body the same way too.

The spring was interesting. I was going to get a kit, but I'm a cheap sonofagun, so I went to the local mom/pop hardware store that has bins of springs. Took the Rossi springs and my calipers and got a couple that were close in length and smaller in wire diameter. I spent less than $3 on springs that work great.

The rest of the work I did was selective areas on the "slick-up" checklist. I did not polish any pins or bend the trigger spring, just sides of the trigger, the hammer spring rod, and hammer face, then use white lithium grease on re-assembly.

I am more than happy with the results. The thing slicked up wonderfully.... to the point that I can cycle it fully, cocking the hammer, with my little finger. I'd bet a pro job would be even slicker, but this thing is pretty darn sweet right now...
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Cold Turkey M92 action job...

Post by akuser47 »

nice work get us a range report
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Some guys start by being scared of their guns and stay that way putting up with poor to mediocre performance ad infinitum or they just give up & get rid of what could be made into a fantastic rifle.

As I said before Rossi doesn't do finishing or fitting ......the guns parts are torqued & forced together on the Brazilian factory assembly lines pretty much the same as they came off the CNC machines with the only quality control criterion being that the assembled rifle fit into the shipping box. Whether the assembled rifle works or not is henceforth & thereafter the buyers problem.

Learning to tune a Rossi rifle is like learning to swim.
You can keep circling the pool but eventually you have to jump in and get wet.

Congratulations on your courage, patience, hard work & success.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Way to go. It truly doesn't take much to make these rifles work real well, as you have documented, just the courage to "crack the eggshell."
Michael