Lee FCD??

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
techiej

Re: Lee FCD??

Post by techiej »

I use them only on 357 & 44 magnum. Went with them so that I could seat & crimp on different stations as I was having a hard time getting a heavy roll crimp while seating these rounds without distorting the cases.

Probably could have gone with any make of separate crimp die but thought what the heck, why not catch the occasional case that needs some resizing as well.
Johnz

Post by Johnz »

That's interesting Ranch Dog. I don't picture that. Seems like it would only squeeze the contents in place & not shift the bullet to where it was intended. Could you elaborate on how that happens?

If the FCD truly does realign the bullet in the case, like you mentioned, then I'd be interested in using them on small semi-auto pistol cartridges too like the 9mm & .380. Over the years I've noticed an occasional non-concentric bullet bulge after seating a lead bullet but thought it wouldn't make that much of a difference at the target.

I'll have to try one out to see if it improves my groups.

Thx....
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Johnz wrote:
I'll have to try one out to see if it improves my groups.

Thx....
That is the "acid test" question that will determine whether using the FCDs is warranted in your case.........shooting is all about educated trial & error. :mrgreen:

The Lee FCD has been a subject of contraversy for years.
There are several schools of thought and theories in regards to its operation and efficacy.

I could toss around theoretical arguments all day long and I find them very interesting but my main focus is the endgame result concisely determined by one acid test question..........Does the FCD improve my ammo resulting in better feeding, cycling & accuracy?
If the answer is YES then the use and minimal expense of the FCD is warranted in my books and the theoretical arguments though interesting are purely academic.
I have used the FCDs with several pistol caliber loads in the past when using bullets without crimping grooves or cannelures and it improved in a measurable way both the cycle-ability and accuracy of the ammunition as automatic pistols are very intolerant of sloppy cartridge dimensioning.
I won't make sweeping claims about the Lee FCDs but it has been my experience as described above that they are beneficial in some cases.
The Lee FCDs are very inexpensive so you're not risking alot and if they don't work for you they can be sold on the various internet vendor websites quite easily. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Johnz wrote:Seems like it would only squeeze the contents in place & not shift the bullet to where it was intended.
From my measurements, I disagree. There is no way a cartridge with runout can pass the carbide ring without being straightened by the ring. "Ring" is not a good description as it actually a carbide sleeve. My results are measured with a Sinclair runout gauge.

I've also pulled and measured bullets to make sure that the bullet has not been sized. In some applications they are and it those cases I do not use them. What has been most interesting to me with my experience is that the CFCD has eliminated runout, without post-sizing the bullets, in my largest over-groove applications; the 25 & 45 ACP. My application for these cartridges is .255" vs. .251" and .457" vs. .452". Runout was a "B"! The loaded cartridges, on one side, looked liked the case had swallowed a toad. From practice, I had chunked the CFCD to the side but in a fit of desperation decided to compare the measurements of the carbide sleeve (need a deep inside micrometer as the sleeve tapers like the die does) against bullet diameter and case thickness. In both of these applications I could see that it was going to be an exact fit so I started using them. As the shellholder reaches the base of the die, there is no way the neck/bullet fit cannot be straight.

I have since started using it with the 32 ACP as well and as I start my annual progressive loading, will examine it with 380 Auto and 9mm Luger. I noticed that Lee is going to be offering a CFCD for the 9mm Makarov, I will buy one in a heartbeat.
Michael
Johnz

Post by Johnz »

Well, thanks for the rundown on this Ranch Dog. Looks like I'll be purchasing the FCD for my 9mm to start with & .380 later with the .45 auto to follow if they perform as described, which I'm sure they will.

I already have one for the .45 Colt (I hate calling it "long Colt") but don't use it because those cases were fire formed in my Marlin 1894 levergun chamber, which is over sized (like most of them are), so I only neck size to minimize case blowby. If I used the .45 Colt FCD on those loads it would, 1) over work the brass leading to premature splitting &, 2) would increase chances of blowby. I must say though, these loads usually won't fit in my single action revolvers of the same caliber. Sometimes they do but there will be a chamber or 2 that won't accept them.

I also have one for the .44 mag FCD which I haven't used yet but will have to try it out to see how she works.

Thx again.....