Lee FCD??

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
se3388

Lee FCD??

Post by se3388 »

Has anyone here found the Lee Factory Crimp Die to beneficial or a determent to accuracy? I have one in 357 and one in 45 Colt and I can't tell any difference.

Steve............
NRA Benefactor Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life member
USAF Veteran
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Lee FCD??

Post by akuser47 »

I think it just depends on the bullet and platform you are using. Say if I had a desert eagle .357 I would probaly def. make sure a good deep crimp was used as the bullets in the mag may start walking. Same with rifles and such. You just have to find what and if you need it with my powder puff loads I shot in my 92 I use little crimp as I have not needed to in my new model vaquero I use a heavier crimp as it seems to cause bullets to walk out when shooting.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

Never saw much in accuracy but they do seem to improve consistency. I almost always use it
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I use Lee FCD on .38, .357, .44 mag, .45 acp and just recently found one for .30-30 (and loving it).

There's a lot of controversy over the use of the Lee FCD with cast bullets, particularly those sized "up" for the over bored guns. There is a sizing ring (for lack of proper term) in the FCD that can resize the bullet down a thousandth or two, so the complaints go. I can't address the complaints as I've never had any issues with the bullets I load: for example for .38 spl and .357 mag, my cast bullets are sized to .358 and my .44 mag bullets are sized to .430. The .38 and .357 are shot in short barreled revolvers and never any sign of leading, and never felt any undue force on the upstroke or downstroke using the Lee FCD. The .44 mag are shot in a Ruger Super Redhawk and Rossi 92, and again, absolutely no sign of leading. I don't doubt that there is a problem with those that may have to load .359's or .431-.432's, but apparently I've lucked out by having barrels closer to spec. If you're loading jacketed bullets, the FCD will certainly be no issue.

I just love the final crimp and the way it seems to not over work the case mouth, and I don't mind the extra step in using it.

Just my rookie opinion.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good info as I am still relitively a rookie as I have been only loading 8 years now so I am always still learning. The day I am not learning somthing then I am already dead. I hope more can post on this. You want to post this at RD's sister site You will or should get more info there
http://www.lee-loader.com/
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

I use the LFC die on all my loads except for match rifle.

When you are at the range, you dont need problems with your ammo. The Lee handgun FCD will size the case down so it will fit in the chamber. If you load a lot then you will find brass and bullets that are out of specs. It just happens sometimes. Can ruin your day if you get a bad jam. The LFC die will minimize this problem.

Crimp can effect accuracy and pressure. So I use the FCD as directed when working up a load.

I had a progressive press for 223 when I was shooting rifle matches. Loaded up a lot of ammo for a match AR15. Later I got a Mini 14. The match loads were as light as possible and the Mini would almost function, the bolt would lack just a tiny bit from picking the round up from the magazine. The match loads werent crimped so I thought it might raise pressures just a bit if I added one. Used the FCD and the ammo functioned just fine. Never checked the velocity difference but it must have been slight. So, if you like max charges then be a bit careful.

I used to shoot a lot of 9mm and was looking for a cheap practice load. Tried various weight bullets but accuracy was dismal to nonexistant. Saw some 160 gr cast RN bullets at the gunshow that were meant for the 38 Super. Bought them cheap and they were big enough to use in the 38 Special if they didnt work in the 9mm. Found some loading data and a light load worked nicely. Seems like the longer bearing surface makes a difference. The only problem was that the cases were sometimes bulged at the bottom where they begin to taper. The LFC cured this. I fired this load in all manner of 9mm guns, including carbines and SMGs with no problem.

The FCD will size the bullet down if it doesnt fit the diameter you are using. You can ream the die to cure this problem. There is info on the net on how to do this.

I like the LFC dies. JMHO
mikld

Post by mikld »

In my opinion, the Lee FCD for handguns is totally unnecessary. If I adjust/set my dies and use the proper components, an FCD is of no use. Actually, in my use of an FCD for handguns, I got leading and poor accuracy when I tried the FCD on .44 Magnum lead bullet reloads. When I reload for 9mm and 45 ACP my dies are adjusted correctly and feed and chamber reliably. I don't need a "Band-Aid" fix for my ammo...

Now the collet style FCD for rifle ammunition is a totally different animal. I use one on my .223 and 30-09 Garand reloads.
cstone

Post by cstone »

I use them because I have four holes in my Dillon 550. I personally don't like seating and crimping on the same die and I won't do it if I have the space to put an FCD on the tool head.

I don't crimp hard on anything I load. My .223 is pretty light and my pistol ammunition is basically just taking the bell out and resizing the OD on the mouth of the case.
adepto super vestri ego
Johnz

Post by Johnz »

I use a lot of Lee products but this is one I don't because I've read where the carbide ring inside will shape down a lead bullet from what it originally was. For instance, if you sized a .357 lead bullet to .359 to accommodate your slugged barrel, the FCD might squeeze down the cartridge to reshape the lead diameter to a smaller size. Jacketed bullets not affected.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Johnz wrote:I use a lot of Lee products but this is one I don't because I've read where the carbide ring inside will shape down a lead bullet from what it originally was. For instance, if you sized a .357 lead bullet to .359 to accommodate your slugged barrel, the FCD might squeeze down the cartridge to reshape the lead diameter to a smaller size. Jacketed bullets not affected.
The only way to really know is to measure the reduction at the case neck. I don't use the Carbide FCD with my rifles chambered in pistol cartridges but I have started using them in my semi-auto pistol applications. What that carbide ring is good for is eliminating bullet runout. These short little cartridges don't have enough bullet in the case neck for the cartridge itself to correct during seating. Runout is simply a measure of how concentric the bullets longitudinal axis is with that of the cartridge case. I have spent quite a bit of energy looking at this and the CFCD does an outstanding job in this role delivering small groups on target.
Michael