New 454 coming next week...............

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
se3388

New 454 coming next week...............

Post by se3388 »

I have a new M92 454 coming next week ($450.00 shipping and fee's included) and was wondering if there is anything I should be on the lookout with it. It is a blued 20 inch model. This is my third Rossi M92 but first 454 so I know some things about them. Thanks for any advice.

Steve..............
NRA Benefactor Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life member
USAF Veteran
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New 454 coming next week...............

Post by Trailboss »

Steve,

Welcome to the Rossi Rifleman forum and congrats on owning three M92s. You have a great collection started. When I bought my M92 in 480R I was surprised that the quality control was so good. I did have to disassemble and clean it up a bit but overall it showed higher quality than my other three M92s. I'll be interested to hear if your 458 turns out to be similar. I've also quite enjoyed the double magazine tube and it's loading port.

Post some pics.

Ken
Aim small, miss small.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very good price, that is a definite plus! Glad to see they are coming down from the reintroduction about a year ago. It also helps in that you know what you are getting into as a R92 is a R92.

Mine was the most problematic of the six new R92s, I purchased. Just bit my lip and powered through it:
  • Barrel relief
  • Both cartridge guides needed to be shimmed as during feed the cartridge next up would flip right out.
  • Carrier needed to be fitted. Dragging on leading edge and sides. This was a real PITA!
  • Butt stock cracked where the tang makes contact inside. Glue & screwed together. This alone dictated a complete stock refinish.
  • Recoil pad screws stripped out.
  • Finally all the normal clean up, fit, & finish the R92 needs.
This was a Davidson's rifle so I could have returned it for another but I didn't have issue with wading in.
Michael
se3388

Post by se3388 »

My first M92 was from the early 90's and it has the typical black wood from that era, fit and finish is ok, it is a 45 Colt and has never been what I call accurate, compared to my other one that is(still have it though). My second one is a Navy Arms 45 Colt rifles with a 24 inch octagon barrel, the fit and finish on that rifle is a world above the first one. It appears to have actual walnut wood on it. Accuracy on it is very good with best accuracy coming from the RCBS 270 SAA bullets and also some 300 gr bullets (cast also). I have a couple of the Ranch Dog 357 molds and they work great so I'll see if I can find one for the 45. Has anyone had good luck with cast in the 454?

Steve..........
NRA Benefactor Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life member
USAF Veteran
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

se3388 wrote:Has anyone had good luck with cast in the 454?
I'm shooting my 45 Colt bullet, the TLC454-290-RF sized at .452". It is cast with a Lyman #2 clone with birdshot added and water quenched for 21 BHN. I shoot it at 42.0KPS. I have a TLC452-330-RF that I designed for this specific rifle. After 9 months, the group buy arrived this past week. I haven't shot it yet but will cast it some time this weekend depending on my hunting. Will cast with 50/50 Linotype/wheel weights and water quench. My intent is to push it to the maximum for the cartridge. No sense having a 454 over the 45 Colt if you are not going to use it's potential.
Michael