Got my new sites on...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Powhatan

Got my new sites on...

Post by Powhatan »

Happy Thanksgiving to all..

Got my new sights on today while the wife was cooking the turkey... and decided to sight her in. I put on the sights from Steve's Gunz. Small ivory bead front sight - Octagon barrel and Low Semi-buckhorn rear sight - Octagon barrel.

As I mentioned in an early post my rifle was shooting 4-5 inches high at 25 yards. After I put on the new sights I was shooting 1 foot low with the sights set at the highest settings. It seems that with the new rear sight I can't get to the highest setting because the adjustment ramp hits the receiver.

I had to take off the new front sight and put on the original front sight.. that put me on target. A little tweaking and was shooting 1/2 in groups with irons. I liked the small bead on the new sight but had to use what works.

I ended up putting a little dab of white paint on the old sight so I could see it with the old eyes.

Just thought I would pass on the info.

Cheers +guns
Chris Hunter
Rossi 92 357 24inch octagon case hardened.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Got my new sites on...

Post by Ranch Dog »

Glad you got the rifle up and running, thanks for the report!
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Good news Powhatan. And all done in time for a hefty home cooked meal. Now that's what I call gunsmithing!

And my wife wonders why I have a plastic tub full of various front and rear sights.....
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

Thanks. I get my spring kit in tomorrow. I will have that installed before they get home from shopping..
Chris Hunter
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Stupid Braztech/Rossi has been having this same problem with their M92 .357 rifles for what seems like forever. Why can't they take just ONE DAY, have a little meeting and make some adjustments. How hard can this be? Its not like they are making any money selling parts to fix these guns. We all wind up buying after market parts made and sold by another company.

Glad to hear you got the gun up and running, OP
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

golfish wrote:Stupid Braztech/Rossi has been having this same problem with their M92 .357 rifles for what seems like forever. Why can't they take just ONE DAY, have a little meeting and make some adjustments. How hard can this be? Its not like they are making any money selling parts to fix these guns. We all wind up buying after market parts made and sold by another company.

Glad to hear you got the gun up and running, OP
The Rossi iron sights such as they are are very clunky & crude & obviously thrown on haphazardly without regard or consideration of line of bore vs line of sight relationships.
What incentive do they have to change?
People are still buying the guns and sighting the guns become their problem.
Rossi rifle buyers should consider themselves fortunate if the crude factory irons sights are their only problem. :mrgreen:

For any of you with original Winchester rifles to compare with the Rossi rifles there is an immediately apparrent & marked contrast between the coarse clunky sights of the Rossi rifles and the fine crisp sights of the Winchesters.

The contrast doesn't end there.......If memory serves me correctly (it's been a while since I unboxed a new New Haven made Winchester rifle) the Winchester irons were just about "bang-on" right out of the box.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

I would have gladly paid an extra $100 if Rossi had put on some quality parts to begin with. And they would probably sell more rifles. springs, sites and 30 minutes of attention to detail and bam! They would have a terrific rifle out of the box.. they should really advertise as a kit gun if they were going to be honest... +guns
Chris Hunter
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Powhatan wrote: they should really advertise as a kit gun if they were going to be honest... +guns
+1
That's exactly what they are........KIT GUNS.
Rossi Riflemen need to be prepared to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty.......it comes with the title. :mrgreen:
I have a little red tool box labelled "Rossi tool kit" with all the Rossi related tools I need so I don't have to waste time looking for stuff. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
doskiez

Post by doskiez »

I Kinda like the do it yourself nature of these guns. Also makes me feel less bad about tearing apart and modifying a "new" gun.
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I'm with you on that one. Fixing something that aint broke just doesn't seem right does it?

I'm use to it though. As I and my sons, have been racing remote control boats since the mid 80s. First thing we do when we get a new engine is take it apart and start whittling on it. But they sure are a lot faster after we get finished. And just like with the rossis, I like taking an engine that is known to be "no good at all" and making it win races.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70