Giving up on my M92 .357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: EXPERIENCE IS A DEAR TEACHER !

Post by pricedo »

galaxieman wrote:I appreciate the input guys. I don't doubt that this rifle will get straightened out. I just have too many perfectly functioning fun to shoot firearms to spend this much time on this one. It reminds me of a Jennings J-22 in my safe It had the potential to be a fun little plinker but is such a PITA that it never gets taken from the safe. If I had bought this Rossi New it would have went back however many times it took them to get it right.
Can't say as I blame you.........give me a choice between hunting & shooting, handloading ammo, fixing guns and I'll pick hunting & shooting every time.

Another case in point illustration of pricedos Rossi buying rule of thumb:

NEVER BUY ROSSI RIFLES WITHOUT A THOROUGH & COMPREHENSIVE PRE-PURCHASE HANDS-ON INSPECTION especially if they have been pre-owned.

Don't spin the Rossi Roulette Wheel.........check em before you buy em. :mrgreen:

If you buy a second hand Rossi it's probably because it was defective and the previous owner was dumping a dud. Satisfied Rossi rifle owners usually don't usually sell the good ones (some are good to go NIB) or the bad ones (if you lose on the spin of the Rossi Roulette Wheel) once they've invested the time, aggravation & sweat fixing them up.

Experience is a dear teacher. :cry:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
galaxieman

Re: Giving up on my M92 .357

Post by galaxieman »

What makes me sad is how good this little rifle shoots. If only it liked 357 rounds...
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

I bought a 2012 second hand for $325 recently. I am the third owner, I think. It works like a charm so I guess I was lucky-gotta happen sometime :)

I would like another one to give my son. For plinking, .38's meet my need but I understand that anyone that was going to use one for hunting-a functioning .357 would be required.

The Henry is nice but heavy...too heavy for my liking. The Marlins have had a bad reputation for about ten years, but we are seeing reports here that the last year or two have seen an improvement in quality and the price is right.

The others are just too expensive for my taste altho they are beautiful.
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If the big brass abomination in 44 Mag I hefted (almost gave me a hernia) a coupla years ago in a local shop is an example of the Henry line of rifles no thanks..........gimme a Rossi anytime.
They wanted over $850 for that Henry back breaker.
Whoever at Henry designed that brass barbell of a gun I can promise you never spent a single day hunting in his life.
There was another Henry in 22LR there at the time sporting plastic parts with an inflated price tag.
Not too impressed by anything I've seen from that company yet.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
cstone

Post by cstone »

Will someone let me know when this goes up for sale. Since I reload and shoot mostly .38 Spl, this sounds like a great opportunity :D

Just kidding.
adepto super vestri ego
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I don't buy nearly as many guns as a lot of people but I have had one troublesome guide gun. It resisted my efforts to tame it's bad habits so I "grounded" it to the gun cabinet for a few months. After a time it revealed its problem and I was able to tune it to perfection.

Of course by then my wife decided a 45-70 was a bit too much recoil and had me sell it. But I beat the little bugger into submission and sold it for more than I paid.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

With the Braztech restricted parts policy in play, one option of riding yourself of a sore thumb is parting it out on eBay and other auction sites. I have been buying parts for both my Rossi's and Taurus models without any issues from these sources. I just broke the trigger guard on a Single Shot, looked there was one a whole lot cheaper than I could have bought it from Rossi had they been willing to sell it to me. I like a good variety of spares on my bench and have continued to buy parts.

If I have a failure of some type with a Braztech rifle or handgun that is under the restricted parts policy, this is exactly how I will handle it. I will simply part out the firearm. Sell everything except the serialize components on eBay and sell that stuff on GunBroker.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

cstone wrote:Will someone let me know when this goes up for sale. Since I reload and shoot mostly .38 Spl, this sounds like a great opportunity :D

Just kidding.
All kidding aside..........the rifle is a good opportunity because all it really needs is to be stripped down to basic parts and given a good tune-up (cleaning, deburring, polishing, light lube).
I'm entirely in sync with the OPs position if he doesn't have the desire or time to fix his rifle up.
Rossi rifles are a hands-on proposition.
Some people don't like fixing things and just want something that works right out of the box.
In other words.........if you're not a tinkerer or somewhat mechanically inclined stay away from Rossi rifles.
A combination of the quality control issues & the restricted parts policy has made me very disinclined to purchase new Braztech products until suchtime as these factors change.
I have no problem with fixing the guns but if parts aren't available that willingness on my part is mute & academic.
I cite the body of evidence contained in this forum and as support for the above conclusions.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

I agree..I like projects such as this :)
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
galaxieman

Post by galaxieman »

I am mechanically inclined, In fact I am a double master ASE Technician. My issue is that there are thousands of " Try this and it will fix it" articles on the internet and I have had this rifle apart 8 times and now am starting to have buggers screws, I have a nice 2 inch scratch in the receiver where a file slipped off taking a burr off of the loading gate port. So far nothing has helped. My frustration level is maxed out on a rifle that should have worked when it was sold new. Now if someone on this board is near St. Louis MO and wants to help me find the problem just let me know. Also it is for sale on Armslist for the St. Louis MO area if anyone is interested.