Giving up on my M92 .357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Giving up on my M92 .357

Post by pricedo »

$ 450 :o .........good luck with that.

Just to gain a real-time perspective on what's available out there.......there's a real (post 64 - 1987) Winchester 94 Ranger 30-30 (much superior as a deer hunting cartridge compared to the 357 Mag) on the same site advertised in "excellent" condition (and it looks really good) for $425 with 2 boxes of ammo & scope rings thrown in.

Your Rossi is essentially an "as-is" gun.........it might be a tough sell at the asking price but who knows.

I hope it works out well for you.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
galaxieman

Post by galaxieman »

I know I started high, but the way these go they always want to talk you down. Yes it has a malfunction, but is is a working .38 special rifle in fairly good condition. I have had a couple of trade offers but nothing yet that I wanted. As long as the new buyer knows that it is basically a .38 only they may be plenty happy. Heck, it is as good as most that will come from Rossi.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

galaxieman wrote: My frustration level is maxed out on a rifle that should have worked when it was sold new.
The 4 step Rossi Rifleman attitudinal evolution: 1) denial 2) anger 3) acceptance 4) fixing. :D

Congrats......you've reached the second step in morphing into a Rossi Rifleman............we've all been there. :mrgreen:

The FACT is that Rossi Rifles often don't work right NIB.........that's why they MSRP @ a dirt cheap $400. :idea:

Somewhere in that obtuse, stubborn, perplexing &^++^%$#^# SOB of a rifle there is a smooth as melted butter, accurate little levergun just itching for you to bring it out. +corn +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
galaxieman

Post by galaxieman »

LOL That is funny. I have reached level 2... But I have never seen one for $400, I gave $500 for this one used.
galaxieman

Post by galaxieman »

Sold it for $350 The buyer shot it and understands it. he even had a few 357 rounds that would cycle.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

galaxieman wrote:LOL That is funny. I have reached level 2... But I have never seen one for $400, I gave $500 for this one used.
galaxieman wrote:Sold it for $350 The buyer shot it and understands it. he even had a few 357 rounds that would cycle.
Ouuuuuch ! :shock: ...............$150 ......... an expensive lesson but not the end of the world.

I sympathize :cry: .....money is hard to come by these days.

If I lived anywhere near you I'd have bought it for $350 cause I really don't think there was that much wrong with it. A Rossi that didn't work right out of the box........that's like saying most fish can swim :lol: .......what else is new ? :mrgreen:

Next time you consider buying a Rossi buy one off the rack and check it from butt plate to muzzle crown before reaching for your wallet. I take the appropriate caliber snap-caps and a bore light into the shop with me & ask the dealer if I can inspect the gun. If the answer is NO the next sound he'll hear is the door hitting me in the backside on my way out.

There are other brands of leverguns to chose from.......Mossberg.......Henry......Marlin.........I checked out 5 Remlin Guide Guns at a local shop a coupla Saturdays ago and they were all good to go........not quite up to JM quality yet but functional. The Mossy 464 in 30-30 was slick off the rack and seemed to be a good rifle.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
cstone

Post by cstone »

$350 is a good price. I would have bought that as a .38 Spl only rifle.

Even rifles that shoot well straight out of the box get tinkered with. What else do I have to do with my time? :D
adepto super vestri ego
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: patience is a virtue

Post by pricedo »

galaxieman wrote:Sold it for $350 The buyer shot it and understands it. he even had a few 357 rounds that would cycle.
cstone wrote:$350 is a good price. I would have bought that as a .38 Spl only rifle.

Even rifles that shoot well straight out of the box get tinkered with. What else do I have to do with my time? :D
92s are by nature ammo sensitive........that means some ammo configurations will work & some won't.
If the ammo you first try doesn't work then you try something else & so on & so on until you find a satisfactory ammo configuration that does cycle well.
According to the OP galaxieman the new owner successfully cycled some 357 Mag ammo through the subject 92/357.
Looks to me like the new owner got a good deal.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
MuckyPup

Post by MuckyPup »

Yeah. Sorry to hear about the trouble galaxieman. I got lucky with mine, but it did cycle gronky and intermittant with 357, till I flushed it with breake cleaner and re-oiled. Now it cycles fine. Part of it was I wasn't "certain" enough with the lever. Meaning I was "limp-wristing" the lever (does that even apply?), not all the way out (to fully lift the carrier) or back, in rythm. Basically, I had to learn how to use the gun's action better.