Antiquing my 92

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
kokopelli

Re: Antiquing my 92

Post by kokopelli »

Thank you for the kind words!
Soon I am going to tackle the safety. I've got some home projects I need to take care of first, but I hope to get to it this week.

So far I have ground the bottom off of the safety 'plug' so it doesn't make contact with the firing pin and ground off the pigtails and removed the detent ball and spring. What I am left with is an almost fitting plug for the hole. My first attempt is gong to be peening the "F" and "S" to try to make them disappear as much as possible. I am also going to try peening the 'plug' and attempt to get it to mushroom out and fill in the detent voids. If successful, I'll then file down the top to completely rid the F and S and blend in the plug.

If my peening fails, I am going to pin the plug in and hit it with a couple very quick weld 'zaps' from underneath, in the plug's hole, which should fill in the detents and allow me to then file flush on top. If I have to weld, I'll use heat stop paste and a heat sink and blow cool slowly with compressed air, which should retain/prevent hardening. A couple instantaneous zaps should'nt do any harm whatsoever with these precautions.

After that, I'll cold blue it and then un-blue it again to get a match. Worst case I'll plum brown the receiver and bolt and that will hide it.
kokopelli

Re: Antiquing my 92

Post by kokopelli »

Thank you for the kind words!
Soon I am going to tackle the safety. I've got some home projects I need to take care of first, but I hope to get to it this week.

So far I have ground the bottom off of the safety 'plug' so it doesn't make contact with the firing pin and ground off the pigtails and removed the detent ball and spring. What I am left with is an almost fitting plug for the hole. My first attempt is gong to be peening the "F" and "S" to try to make them disappear as much as possible. I am also going to try peening the 'plug' and attempt to get it to mushroom out and fill in the detent voids. If successful, I'll then file down the top to completely rid the F and S and blend in the plug.

If my peening fails, I am going to pin the plug in and hit it with a couple very quick weld 'zaps' from underneath, in the plug's hole, which should fill in the detents and allow me to then file flush on top. If I have to weld, I'll use heat stop paste and a heat sink and blow cool slowly with compressed air, which should retain/prevent hardening. A couple instantaneous zaps should'nt do any harm whatsoever with these precautions.

After that, I'll cold blue it and then un-blue it again to get a match. Worst case I'll plum brown the receiver and bolt and that will hide it.