New Owner!!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Powhatan

New Owner!!

Post by Powhatan »

Hi All! Just picked up my Rossi 92 24" , case hardened, octagon rifle last night.
A couple of questions...

1. The front sight is all black and in dim light with my old eyes it is hard to see. What have you done to help with this.. there is no brass dot on the front post.

2. When ejecting shells quickly it is throwing a live round out with the spent shell.. will this go away as the gun breaks in?

3. I want to shorten the magazine spring and replace the follower.. the bottom screw near the muzzle is very tight and not coming out..any suggestions? I don't want to strip it.

Thanks for the help!
Chris Hunter
Rossi 92 357 24inch octagon case hardened.
Powhatan

Re: New Owner!!

Post by Powhatan »

I have read that using shorter 38s will cause this problem.. I will test with 357s tonight and report back.
Chris Hunter
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

Welcome to the group... I think you will enjoy your time here!

I have this gun but in .44...

A little penetrating oil and a good screwdriver that really fits the screw head... I can't stress enough how important the screwdriver is to avoid stripping or marring the screw head...

Being of the same vintage, you and I, I understand the sight picture...

I took the Buckhorn off and installed a Marbles Tang Sight.... Works for me...

Last edited by Sosoomi on 15 Nov 2013 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Johnz

Post by Johnz »

Just Beautimous. Let us know how she works when you get around to firing it.

The brass bead on the front sight causes problems for me when the sun shines on it so I'd prefer the black one even though the brass bead does look better. I suspect you could order a brass-beaded front sight from Rossi or get an after market one from some online retailer.

Don't have the ejecting problem you mention, but I only use .357 cases in mine. Maybe, like you mentioned, its only a problem with 38 ammo.

I didn't have the same issue with the magazine tube plug screw near the muzzle but you may want to loosen the barrel band screw and forearm screw 1st to relieve any pressure they may be putting on the plug screw because the tip of that screw bears into a relief hole on the underside of the barrel.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Powhatan wrote:

1. The front sight is all black and in dim light with my old eyes it is hard to see. What have you done to help with this.. there is no brass dot on the front post.

2. When ejecting shells quickly it is throwing a live round out with the spent shell.. will this go away as the gun breaks in?

3. I want to shorten the magazine spring and replace the follower.. the bottom screw near the muzzle is very tight and not coming out..any suggestions? I don't want to strip it.

Thanks for the help!
Welcome to the site.

1) I have the same gun in stainless steel. I use this for a front sighthttp://www.midwayusa.com/product/655240/marble ... ptic-green

2) I'd start by cutting a couple inches off the mag spring. We are talking .357, right?

3) Try adding some heat using a heat gun..that should loosing it up a bit.
Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

Thanks everyone for the help.. I was able to remove the screw with the help of the right screw driver! I snipped off spring to about 4 inches past the end...helped a lot.. I am now able to load 12 357s with little effort.. I was right about what I read about the double feeding. I was using 38 plus p hollow points when I first fired the gun. those bullets are quite a bit shorter.. I tried tonight with 357's and no double feeding at all.. I can cycle as fast and hard as I want with no malfunctions. The problem is I got a great deal on the 38s.. I got 500 rounds for $100.. So I guess I will just cycle them slowly. I don't think I want to shim the gun for the 38s...It might mess with the 357s.. Thoughts?? +guns
Last edited by Powhatan on 16 Nov 2013 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hunter
Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

golfish wrote:
Powhatan wrote:

Thanks for the help!
Welcome to the site.

1) I have the same gun in stainless steel. I use this for a front sighthttp://www.midwayusa.com/product/655240/marble ... ptic-green

2) I'd start by cutting a couple inches off the mag spring. We are talking .357, right?

3) Try adding some heat using a heat gun..that should loosing it up a bit.

How do you like that sight? How hard is it to put on?
Chris Hunter
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Powhatan, looks like you are figuring things out real quick!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

love how it looks
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

Perhaps a little wax on the wood to keep it from water damage?? What do you guys recommend? I think the color and wood look good but I have heard horror stories about rain washing it away..
Chris Hunter