.44-40 SRC

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
eljay

.44-40 SRC

Post by eljay »

awaiting delivery of a second hand SRC in .44-40. i have pictures from the dealer (i can email them, but not smart enough to attatch them, cos i'm a techno dinosaur) that show it has a ladder rear sight, saddle ring still intact, and the front sight in front of the barrel band. i have owned rossi's for about 30 years and have not seen one in this configuration. it looks for all the world like the old spanish "el tigre" carbines, it isnt because the left side of the action has no tiger stamp. s/n is: N 00xxxx, i know that dating rossi's by s/n is an esoteric art not to be undertaken by the faint hearted, but any idea of age would be much appreciated. condition appears good, with a supposedly very good bore. here in OZ the tyranny of distance means that actually handling the rifle is not an option. i have done many deals this way and been dissapointed only a couple of times, hopefully this will turn out good for me, regards, eljay.
eljay01.JPG
eljay02.JPG
eljay03.JPG
eljay04.JPG
eljay05.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 17 Nov 2013 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images added by Ranch Dog
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: .44-40 SRC

Post by Ranch Dog »

Interesting and hope to see it once in hand!

Posting pictures is easy, it is detailed through the FAQ link above and I have detailed the process with pictures in a topic: Posting Pictures Tutorial. You don't need a place to store the pictures as that is done right here on the forum. Just open the referenced Tutorial in a new window and switch back and forth between it and your new post while you follow the instructions on copying the pictures from your PC to the forum.
Michael
eljay

Post by eljay »

hi ranch dog, if you PM me an email address, i can forward the dealers photos to you, be better than any i could take seeing as i dont own a camera, regards, eljay.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Images added. Interesting rear sight, is it a ladder?
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Nice looking rifle. Looking forward to seeing a range report when you get it out for some shooting.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

eljay

Post by eljay »

thanks for posting the pics for me ranch dog. the dealer tells me it is a ladder sight and appears original to the rifle, looks like one i had on a .303 martini, i will know more when its in my hot little hands! just have to endure the long wait in case i go on a rampage, of course i couldn't do this with the other 20 odd rifles i have. more pointless laws. but i digress, a range report will happen ASAP.
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Is that front sight tall enough to work with that rear sight or is it set up for long range only shooting?
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

I believe the 'N' prefix were set aside for the Navy Arms run they did. Judging by the pictures, what I see is a better fit of the metal to wood and the appearance of real hardwood, (with grain and all) and not the swamp grass reed that were put on the other runs...Which jives with the Navy Arms spec'd rifles.
eljay

Post by eljay »

carbine has just been delivered to my door, has some bad points, but, i think, more good points. first the bad, rust on buttplate, should clean off pretty easily, the dealer was "mistaken" when he said the sights looked original to the rifle, rear sight is off a small frame martini, dovetail filled in (solder?) almost covers the calibre stamping, front sight dovetailed in front of barrel band, you can see by the lack of blueing where the original front sight was removed from the band, light rust patina on the barrel, few small spots on the action. markings: none on the tang, small "amadeorossi s.a." left side of barrel, "made in brasil" on right side of barrel, ".44-40 win." just under right side of rear sight, sn on front underside of frame. good points: wood, while plain, is in excellent condition, fit of wood to metal on butt and forend is nothing short of perfect (to my tired old eyes!) bore is clean bright and sharp, and whoever did the re sighting, is a very good gunsmith, as it all looks very professional, action is smooth as, bolt face looks very good, offhand i would say it has had very little use, probably carried a lot on a property somewhere, got no gear to shoot in it yet, cant wait to get her to the range. will try to send some pics when my son gets here over the weekend. overall, i'm a happy camper.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

All is well that ends well! Look forward to the range report!
Michael